Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Shar Peis as hunting dogs? >

Shar Peis as hunting dogs?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Shar Peis as hunting dogs?

Old 03-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Spike

Question Shar Peis as hunting dogs?

I was at a obedience match with my golden today and saw a flowered shar pei. The lady was talking to everybody about the breed's history and temperment and yadayadayada
naturally I fell in love with the breed. I read later they are the "all around farm dog" and was wondering if they would make good hunters. I would ike to be getting another hunting dog and a sharp pei would be a neat dog to have.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Spike

Why?

There are many established field and versatile breeds out there. Is there a field bred Shar Pei line that hunts? What type of hunting are you gonna do?

Breed history has very little to do with today's bench breeds.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yellowsnow has it right.
If you want a hunting dog, get a hunting dog.
A dog that was bred (for centeries) to be a guard dog would be unlikely to be a good bird dog.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Yellowsnow
Why?

There are many established field and versatile breeds out there. Is there a field bred Shar Pei line that hunts? What type of hunting are you gonna do?

Breed history has very little to do with today's bench breeds.
I understand this all. Honestly, I wanted someone who may have had experience with shar peis because I know the old style peis are still used for work (herding, gaurding, hunting, etc)

And you think I don't know that? I hunt behind a wonderful field golden, but was interested in eperiencing with new breeds. I was very struck by the woman's dogs, and was wondering if it could DOUBLE as a hunting dog. I know there are other breeds, please, I am not dumb, and am very knowledgable when it comes to dogs. However I have not had much experience with Peis and was looking for a shred of enlightenment on the subject.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Doc E
Yellowsnow has it right.
If you want a hunting dog, get a hunting dog.
A dog that was bred (for centeries) to be a guard dog would be unlikely to be a good bird dog.

Yes, that is if I were looking for solely a hunting dog. If I was looking for just that, I would most likely go with pointsetta, lewellin, or lab, but I was wondering if it could double as a hunting dog.

And as far as gaurding goes, well, I can't argue that. There are breeds like akitas that wer bred for gaurding, but still to this day are used for hunting. However, this may or may not apply to the shar pei, as you said.

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:44 AM
Spike

So go buy one and let us know how it works out for you. Maybe you could be the Father of a Shar Peis field bred line. Personally, you will possibly end up with a good rat catcher and possibly a dog to track a wounded deer or antler sheds. That's about it.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 AM
Spike

My friend uses a shar pei as a catch dog when he hog hunts. I've heard that a few guys use them for catch dogs as well.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Spike

Great post. Well, I like hunting dogs so, please advise, form where i can get the hunting dog.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Spike

I too was curious about a different breed of dog when I was searching, but being that my parents bought my dog I just got to pick out the pup they picked the litter, so I ended up with a half borer collie half blue heeler.........and as far as what kind of dog I got, I got a great guard dog and I half a smaller hunting dog with a great nose, go to YouTube and search Midwestmudhunters and watch the duck hunting opener you can see her first retrieve
Old 06-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by TheRedYote
I was at a obedience match with my golden today and saw a flowered shar pei. The lady was talking to everybody about the breed's history and temperment and yadayadayada
naturally I fell in love with the breed. I read later they are the "all around farm dog" and was wondering if they would make good hunters. I would ike to be getting another hunting dog and a sharp pei would be a neat dog to have.
Shar peis cannot work in groups, the are the dogfighting dogs of china and korea. I volunteer at the humane society, and honestly I've seen more dog aggressive and miscreant shar peis than I have pit bulls. Many people don't know a lot about shar peis before they get one, and they require much more work then a lab, a pointer, or even a pit bull. They are very wary of other people, and many are aloof. They can't see very well, so no one should ever be in a place out of their field of view, even the owner! I'd honestly suggest going with a pointer, lab, or any other sporting breed. Shar peis are good farm dogs because they are good at guarding against intruders, animal and human alike, and the fact that they don't need much human companionship as other dogs do. This is not to say they are bad dogs, as there is no such thing as a bad breed of dog. They just require a lot more work, and many people have no idea what they are getting into, and that results in the large numbers of shar peis you'll see in shelters. Shar peis are good at ratting or treeing, solely because of their high prey drive, which any dog with a prey drive can do, whether it be a jack russel or a mastiff. They are better for hog hunting, because they have tougher skin then most dogs.

Last edited by sean_paul87; 06-21-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.