Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
What can poison your dog in the field... >

What can poison your dog in the field...

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

What can poison your dog in the field...

Old 05-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Spike

nice work and thanks for the advice and tips...i live in NZ and we have aerial 1080 drops for "possum control" it seems to control the deer populations aswell,in saying that the 1080 poison can stay in the bone marrow of a dead deer carcass for over 2 years and be deadly on any dog that crunches through the bone of said deer,i have been told that the gut system of dogs is way diff to that of coons and such,,beleive me,they die a horrible death,my lab went down with 1080,it haunts me to this very day
Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Spike

I gotta say, I'm still kinda new in this field. Thanks for sharing this info!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Beard Buster
A few years ago my beagle ate the head of a rabbit I had cleaned before I could stop her. That nearly killed her because the bone fragmented and lodged in her stomach. It is something I wouldn't wish on any animal. Be mindful of how you dispose of your waste. I know it is a no brainer but alot of people reward hunting dogs with scraps. BB
just the head.my beagle years ago swallowed the whole rabbit.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
toby my lab drinks that algae water everytime i take him pheasant hunting in certain area.he is hot and goes for dive and then drinks it.
so far i have not had him sick,i guess very lucky...
There are numerous algae types. What to look for are bodies of water that look like green paint was mixed with the water. This link has a good photo.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33045773...s-environment/

Last edited by losthwy; 02-20-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Spike

Thanx for the helpful tips! didn't know about the algae water
Old 07-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Banned

Red face What can poison your dog in the field...

I am sure most people know that chocolate is toxic for dogs. There are actually a lot of human food that's toxic to your little fur baby.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I almost lost Zoomie last year to blasto (blastomycosis-sp?). Its a bacteria that lives in the soil in the midwest, especially in plowed crop fields... Very difficult to avoid. Most dogs won't be affected by it, but once in a while, the bacteria will take up residence in the lungs & try to take over. This is what happened to Zoomie. I had to put him on medicine for 7 months, one pill a day to combat it. By the time we caught it, he had lost 10 lbs, & wouldn't eat. I still have to take him back for one more urine test to confirm he is clean. The vet said he will be @ about 80 % for the rest of his life, but we've still got him.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Spike

Holy crap! I did not know that about clays!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Typical Buck

One of my Beagles ate the head of a rabbit we had taken once. She nearly died because the bones splintered and did not digest. It was really tragic. Fortunately she recovered from it after several months of careful treatment and rest. We have to be very careful not to let our dogs eat any harmful pieces of game we take, especially the guts, due to parasitic concerns.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Good stuff to know right here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.