Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

wanna try something new

Old 08-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Spike

Default wanna try something new

Well i just started getting away from the compund bow and started trying to play with the traditional and my ? is this. I am thinking of doing some Fred Bear type pheasant hunting here in illinois. and goose too. and i have been looking for a good dog around my town in north west illinois. What would be the best type of dog for this type of hunt.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wanna try something new

I know very little about bow hunting, so I have a question for you.
I know that when most animals are shot, the arrowusuallygoes completely through the animal.
Is this the case with a goose too? Or is it likely that the arrow will still be in the bird?

The reason I ask this is that if the arrow is still in the bird, I certainly wouldn't want my dog retrieving it.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

I've never seen anyone trying to shoot goose with bow. It sounds very interesting and fun to try. You would have to be stealthy to be able to approach one with a traditional bow. Decoys and water? You would lose alot of arrows. Grain fields perhaps but then you wouldn't need a dog.

Pheasant hunting I've seen on TV but they were shooting pen raised birds I believe. Success rate was very low like 1/10. But you can go either pointer or flusher. With a flusher, make sure you are ready at all times.A pointer would give you time to setup.

I probably know only one person who is capable of doing pheasant archery. He runs an archery shop in WA. Every so often he would give us shooting demostrations, eg. our compounds with sights vs. his hunk of metal w/o sights. At the end, the compounds ended up buying new arrows from him. With traditional, I've seen him split an swinging aspirin on string at 20 yards. Incredible instintive shooter.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:31 AM

None to answer your question directly.
First and foremost about all true bird hunters. it is about the dog and everything else is secound. For you it would be about your shot, that makes you amarksman.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Spike

OK gentlmen thank you for your response and the truth be told i have shot a few geese last year with a bow and it was a compound. And the arrow passed right threw. Well i kind of did my own thing and bought a 7 mos old chocolate Lab yesterday. and already she likes to fetchs socks and things. what should i do to get her ready for next yrs goose hunt? And are these dogs as good as flushing and pointing? Now when i was young boy about 9 i went fishing with my friend in Wisconsin and he had black Lab, Well it seen some ducks in the water and it stood so still and lifted its front paw and tail went straight. Now that i look back i dont ever see people speaking of the Labrador doing this type of thing, It is usually and springer or a german, so what and how do i train her to fetch a bird? without biting down hard on it..... Thank You William Daughenbaugh Stephenson County Illinois
Old 08-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

i would get a lab.

i like small ones not those big heavy ones up to 100 pds.

females are smaller than males,but i like male, so they are around 80 pds max.

as for arrows, i used to shoot pheasants with bow,with my dog 30 years ago.

i only used a field tip arrow,dog cant hurt himself on that.

as for broadhead, dont use dog if you use a broadhead as they could get cut on it.

there may be points that still kill and dont have sharp edge,i dont know.

my biggest concern is make sure no ones dog is out beyond where the arrows drops as it could het your dog but odds are it wont,but you never know.

take care.