Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

wanna be

Old 03-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default wanna be

What does it cost to get a basic reloading kit of any quality to start reloading with. Any suggestions a brand would be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: wanna be

If money is limited you can use the LEE kit (personaly I'd get a better scale ... RCBS 5-0-5)

If not go with the RCBS kit

The Lee kit is around $ 70.00 ( plus the better scale another $ 50.00 ish) think and the RCBS is around the $ 200.00 mark.

http://www.midwayusa.com

Prices in the above were memory the link will get you exact.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

check out the RCBS website and get a handle on what their starter kit consists of and then proceed to buy it on Ebay or garage sales or auctions.....It certainly can be done!!
Old 03-28-2004, 09:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

you can't go wrong with RCBS equipment. Don't buy anything cheap if you can get away with it. I have an old Pacific press for almost 40 yrs now. Buy the good stuff, it will last you forever with just a little care.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:56 PM

RCBS is the only way to go. Sometime E-Bay has some cheap deals. Sinclare or Midway USA would be a good place to start.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:01 AM

I agree with the others, RCBS is quality stuff that will last. Lee presses arent that bad for the MILD reloader. I use Lee dies on rounds that I dont reload much for(7.5 french, 8mm mauser). A few of my friends have Lee presses and they all love them. I use my dads old RCBS JR press. He bought it in 1954 from an ad Fred Hungition had in a magazine. It still works perfectly. Older Rcbs presses are better quality then newer ones. The old ones were made from cast iron not cast aluminum. Yea they are heavy but 50 years and atleast 50,000 rounds later it still works. Check out e-bay I just saw an old rockchucker(cast iron) go for like $25. Midway is a great company to deal with they specialize in reloading. I have a Cabelas by me and they have fair prices on bullets. Gander Moutain, Bass pro too expensive(in my book anyway).

What ever way you go make sure you buy a powder scale(not the lee dippers), Metal calipers, a good reloading book(speer) and a 0-1" Micrometer. If you are reloading for rifle you will need a case trimmer, with auto pistol you can usually get 3 -5 reloads without trimming(target loads). Take your time and always double check. If it dont look right then throw it away. Ammo is cheap, Guns are not.

Good Luck
Jay
Old 04-04-2004, 04:57 PM

Leaf,

I've found a website that those new to reloading may find interesting. Try
www.reload-nrma.com this might be of some help.

As for equipment, the Redding dies are the best ones made today, with RCBS running a close second. I have a RCBS Rockchucker press I've used for a long time and wouldn't replace. I like it. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Dominant Buck

I started with the lee kit. I think I paid about 70 bucks. I replaced the scale, but other than that, I still use it. I think it is a good starting kit.