Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Hog Dogs???

Old 03-13-2008, 03:17 PM

Default RE: Hog Dogs???

for me I have had better luck with cur dogs be ,black mouth , mtn cur or catahoulas even lacy dogs will make good ones surely a silent track dog so you don't have to run hog across the state .Its good idea not to spend lot of money on dog may not get to have it long!!!!would get couple catch dogs to stop hogs pits usualy cheapest route to go dogos are good but costly you should hook up with couple local hunters and pitch in you will need to learn how to stich or staple up your dogs sooner or later they can hook you up with pups usualy .sometimes we would hunt for 30 mins and patch up dogs for hours find ,some were with cut collars for your dogs ' ugly dog ranch makes good ones'and I perfer wet felt vest on catch dogs, but I don't hunt in swamp in my area is just rocks and brush good luck oh If you go to buy a dog thats a hunting dog already buy when you see it in the woods hunting alot of dog jockeys out there!!![8D]
Old 03-13-2008, 04:33 PM

Listen to me I have been hunting all my life so has my dad all I know is hog huntin I live in Texas butthe best catch dog is a full blowed pit and the best back up bay dogs would be a plott hound but if you want rough bay dogs a 1/3cur 1/3hound and 1/3american bulldog is awesome for more info go to my website www.hogrustlers.net
Old 03-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Spike

dogo argentinos and american pits all the way. all iuse it pits because i already had one when i started hunting hogs and if the hog decides to fight before i get it my dog with his vest can take him on and a hog vs both wouldnt stand a chance.

im not saying i let my dogs tear the hog to bits, they get yelled at if they even bite it unless it fights first.

a buddy of mine uses dogos which are realy friendly dogs till a boar charges then they go wild but once there home they play with the kids and are fine. they would be my second choise if i didnt have pits.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned

Just so you fellows don't think that I am just a Idaho bear hunter blowing smoke, you can look up my registered hog mark at Bronson, Levy county Courthouse. Swallow fork underbit in the left ear, crop underbit in the right ear. Grandpaws mark was swallow fork under bit in both ears. If you are hunting the Gulf Coast of Leavy County, you are hunting descendants of our stock from the days of the open range. If the old timers kept a dog, he earned his keep. He worked cattle and hogs. He would trail, jump and bay until you arrived and told him to catch. He would then catch an ear and hold him while you grabbed the hind legs, flipped and tied him. He released on command and stood watch overthe hoguntil you got in with the horse to load him for the ride home where he was fatten on corn. Pits, Dagos, Boxers, ect. were totally worthless. I never heard of the so called Florida cur, may be we owned them and didn't know it. Hog dogs are like bear dogs, they are where you find them. A good Plott Cur, (not a Plott Hound) is hard to beat.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunted back before the SC laws changed. We used to catch and resell to places that offered guided trips. Made some good money back in the college days. Guys I hunted with had four walkers and three pitbulls. It'll give you a new found respect for pitbulls.

We were catching hogs. But part of our agreement with the landowners (who want them all dead) is that we don't let hogs go. If its little or a sow, it gets the knife or the gun or the whatever... we ran out of ways to kill 'em. Boars, anything about 90#s and up, got caught, transported and sold.

Nothing like a cold beer and a suckling piglet cooked in the over real slow all day after tromping through snake infested swamps in the spring and summer.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:33 PM

personally seen all kinds of dogs make a good bay - strike dog but personally never cared for hounds start out quiet and before you know it they are run the mouth and the hogs keep a going some make it. just personally don't care for them unless they are treeing game but hey I've seen curs and all kinds run open trackalso. Ive even heard of kelpys and german short hairs ,weimerimersmaking good hog dogs just had better luck with a cur, or what even the local pound had at one time , or if in brush jag'd terriers are pretty good good luck !
Old 03-18-2008, 05:25 PM

up here in north florida and south georgia alot of people use hounds and some use curs i think u should think about what size of land u r hunting if its alot hounds would be oak but silent mouth dogs are real helpful in smaller areas and where there is alot of hog sign cause most curs dont have a nose like a hound ,a hound will sometimes take a cold track of a hot one then all u do is spend alot of time cold trailing,a cur will take the fresh tracks cuz their nose arent strong enough to cold trail like a hound
Old 04-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

TheScott Typeamerican bulldog (not johnson) is a great catch dog.They havea lot of size over the pits and they hold a tight grip, not always as tight as a pit, but most time they do, but they have the size to take down some big heavy rank boars that a sometimes the pits are a little too small to hit effectively. Some of the muzzles get a little short and so you have to worry about them getting winded sometimes. But again, they are catch dogs and not bay dogs. the True Grit web board has a section for Performance AB's (Scott Type) and they are heavy ino hog hunting. The big dogs hit HARD