Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Phil from Maine

Old 12-16-2007, 05:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default Phil from Maine

Hey, I saw a rarity up here in the NW, a hunting red setter. The owner said they originally got it from Penn. It was a smaller dog about 40lbs, thin. Comparing it to my friends britt, the britt is about 5lbs less. Check the face out and it looked considerably different from my Llew. Longer nose, more blocky.

I don't know if this one was shaved but the feather was almost non-existant but I like what I saw. Very athletic, good confirmation, and carried its tail well but something happened when it was a pup and it carried a limp.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Phil from Maine

Hey Mite did the setter have any white on her? Yeah, these old style setters have very little feathering if it was bred out of the imports. Most of those imports have short hair compaired with the ones most are used to seeing. Two of the pups I sold about 2 1/2 years ago tipped the scales at a whopping 28 lbs. at a year old. My female is 38lbs at 5 years old and also very little feathering. If you see the guy with the setter again get him to let it smell something out of his hand. You will not believe how that nose can tip side to side while looking straight ahead. I am sorry to here that it carried a limp though. One of the problems is they will run like most dogs when young and like most will try and chase 4 wheelers and such if not corrected. Mine almost got hit by my 4 wheeler once when running. Now they run beside it though, perhaps something like that maybe what had happened.

Here is a pic of a pup I took yesterday using my sister-in-laws camera. This one I will be taking to Southern Maine on friday as well as a sister to her. See how the nose is coming out on her. Nice and long with somewhat of a block.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:04 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Nice looking Pup there!

JW
Old 12-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Typical Buck

Your pup looks exactly like the dog. Somewhat prominant nose and blockier head than my setter, almost golden retriever looking. They had him fixed as a youngster because they thought his confirmation was poor because of the low tail. But they are kicking themselves now. Setters tend to develop until one or two years of age. Tail muscles becomes stronger and now the dog's tail is carried straight up.

This dog didn't have any white as I recall.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks JW, the reason I asked about the white is because most of the imports tend to show it. That appears to carry over in most breedings. I am sorry to here he had if fixed as most of us know they are hard to come by. Here is a pic of a male that shows the blocky looking head. Due to the angle his nose doesn't look very long like the previous pic, however it is and a little wider. Also it looks as tho his bottom jaw is deformed but it really is not at all. ( just the angle ) This one has the white in it. That first pic is the only one out of six that did not have more than just a speck of white.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

You may not believe it Mite but mine jumped over my kennel today why I was at work. The wife saw it out in the yard and called him in. I checked the whole darn kennel out and with snow on the ground you could see where it landed on the outside area. The kennel is 6 feet tall! Now what the heck am I going to do...
Old 12-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

You could feed it more so it will gain weight . Setters are known to be able to jump 6' fences but I bet its more like climbing. Luckily, my dog is overweight even then she once climbed a vertical rock wall about 5' high to run away from me.

Strange things about dogs. My first dog could easily clear the 3' high fence as she was moreathletic. She routinely cleared her dog house and jump into a raised 4 wheeler with tailgate up.She never jumped the fence but did learn toopen the top mounted latch which I had to fix. Later she was kenneled and she figured how to open that latch too.

As to your problem, throw a net over the kennel.