Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

WHAT BRAND OF DOG FOOD

Old 10-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WHAT BRAND OF DOG FOOD

I fed Diamond L/R for quite a while. It's a great food for the money. The only problem I had with it was our female was not getting the nutrition that she specifically needed out of it during field trial/hunt test season and hunting season.

I have switched to Nutro's Natural Choice products in the past two years. I like that the adult formulas have the glucosamine and chondrotin in the food and that my older dogs don't have to take another pill.

I have been very happy with it and have recommended it to several friends including the breeder of our youngest. She's seen great improvement in their older dogs on the Senior formula.

There's nothing wrong with Diamond L/R unless your dog can't tolerate it. It's a good food and has been used by breeders and competitors for many years. If your dog does well on it then go for it. If the dog runs out of gas on it then you need to look at the situation more closely.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Phil,

I think it's the opposite. 30/20 means 30% protein and 20% fat.
I think you are right, I thinkI goofed that one sorry,...
Old 10-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

my feed mill is orderingDIAMOND EXTREME ..this just came out and is foractive hunting dogs..
i am going to mix it with L&R during hunting season..
also i fried up 3 pds of ground beef,going to add that during grouse season only..
Old 10-07-2007, 11:02 PM

Sproulman,
What is the benefit of the ground beef. I amot a new dog owner, though soon to be the new owner of a GSP for hunting. Trying to learn as much as I can here.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:14 AM

I am currently transitioning from Diamond Premium Adult formula to Eukanuba Premium Performance Sporting
http://us.eukanuba.com/eukanuba/en_US/jsp/Euk_Page.jsp?pageID=PRDD&BS=P&PID=15

20% more Protein and Fat: Made with more protein and fat than Eukanuba Medium Breed Adult to provide sustained energy for peak performance
DuoEnergy®: Eukanuba Premium Performance Sporting formula has a special blend of carbohydrate sources, fats and L-Carnitine to help provide sporting dogs with quick and sustained energy
JointFlex: Natural sources of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate to help maintain joint and cartilage health
Antioxidants: Made with antioxidants such as Vitamin E to support your dog's immune system
Chicken is the #1 Ingredient: Real chicken as the #1 ingredient provides an excellent source of protein
No Unnecessary Extras: No fillers, artificial preservatives, artificial flavors or colors added
Natural Fish Oil: Natural fish oil provides Omega-3 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat. These nutrients also help support the immune system and nervous system
Healthy Fiber: Made with beet pulp fiber to help maintain a healthy digestive system
DentaDefense®: Crunchy kibbles with a coating of micro-crystals scrub your dog's teeth with every bite, reducing plaque and tartar buildup that can lead to bad breath

Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I couldn't even concider using Eukanuba after the trick with PETA, I just enjoy my hunting dogs..
Old 10-08-2007, 09:26 AM

"trick with PETA" ?

Please enlighten me.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some of the money from the sale of Eukanuba went out to groups that were backed by PETA. They have said to have changed course after world got out, but I still wouldn't buy it. That was a very damaging trick that i do not think they would ever recover the losses afterwards..
Old 10-08-2007, 09:48 AM

My initial research shows that a few years ago PETA attacked IAMS for their research practices. I imagine any “donations” were actually blackmail payoffs. Seems like a danged if ya do danged if you don’t situation. If they don’t get PETA off their back they loose sales to their large consumer base of average pet owners, if they do then they loose hunters. The second of which I would think is a much smaller part of their revenue.

Of course that is just speculation.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

Sproulman,
What is the benefit of the ground beef. I amot a new dog owner, though soon to be the new owner of a GSP for hunting. Trying to learn as much as I can here.
beef with some fat is great for hunting dog that is hunted..
i dont do it in off season..
i cook up 3 lbs as said on stove and put it in a container..
then i put handful in his food in evening.

vet told me just to give him another handful of dry food..
some give their dogs CAN food also but i hate the stuff,what a mess when it comes out.......

Quick Reply: WHAT BRAND OF DOG FOOD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.