Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Help naming new pup

Old 08-04-2007, 09:49 AM

Default Help naming new pup

My wife and I are adopting another Weim from a rescue group in Missouri and need a little help coming up with a good name for her. She's a purepred weim but won't be registered since the litter was given to a rescue group.

Here's my list of requirements for the name:
1) Preferably 2 syllables.
2) Should be easily shortened to 1 syllable (i.e., I call my dog "Uke" even though his name is Yukon.)
3) Must end with a vowel sound.
4) She's a blue weim so it'd be cool to somehow work that in.
5) Nothing that sounds too much like a person's name.
6) Can't sound like Yukon or Utah. (My buddy's weim is name Utah so hunting with 3 dogs all coming to any names that starts off with a "U" sound gets tough)

So far the ideas are: Tahoe, Indigo (shortened to Indy), Denali (can't be shortened easily), Sadie, and Moxie.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a link to the site with her picture, scroll down to "Blue Girl"
http://www.heartlandweimrescue.org/availabledogs.htm

Old 08-05-2007, 03:43 PM

Default RE: Help naming new pup

Bluebell/Blue or blu.
Gradie/Gray...
Bailey/ bay...
some Ideers.

Bluekon???

Since you like the GM vehicle themes, howz about Sierra? or Savana?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yukon, Tahoe, & Denali? I like your thinking
Old 08-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

I never give a dog a call name that ends in "O" as it can sound like "no". We also don't use any names that sound like any commands or names of people we hunt with or their dogs names...

I like Moxie.
Liberty "Lib or Libby" as in Red, White and Blue....
Have fun. She is very cute...

Old 08-08-2007, 07:29 AM

Beautiful weim!. I have one as well that is the same dark color as yours. I named her Chatanika and I call her Nika. I agree with earlier post that stated you should never give a dog a name that sounds like a command. My rules are simple and similar to those stated: 2 sylables, first stronger than the second, end in a vowel, don't sound like a command. I have always named my dogs after my fravorite fly-fishing streams and shortened the name as necassary. I also hunt with other guys that have dogs of their own so I try to stick to names that my buddies are unlikely to use as well. Yukon, tundra, Utah, Tahoe are all fine names and I know several dogs with them. These days gun dogs named Yukon are like naming your kid Mike or John. Fine names and they'll share the name with several others. Think about a longer name, such as a river or place and shorten it to fit your needs. Or...a couple of names : Yankee, Packer (the R is soft enough), Chena (a river in Alaska), Nike (a famous gun dog). Good luck and gorgeous pup.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would pick a german name when considering the breed, do a web search under google and you can find a whole list of dog names to pick from..
Old 08-11-2007, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the help fellas! Still working on the right name. Talking to a German friend of mine tomorrow to get his input on a good German name. Leaning towards Moxie right now if nothing else grabs me. I'll keep y'all posted and post some pictures as soon as we get her home.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:56 AM

Thanks again for all the help trying to find the right name. After driving to Kansas City to pick her up, and spending a couple of days with her now, we've kinda settled on the name "Lexi". Somehow the name just seems to fit her.

Here's a pic of Lazy Lexi giving us the puppy eyes on the way home from Kansas City.

She rode for 12 hours home to TN in her crate and never made the first peep wanting out to ride up front with us. She's taking to the crate quite nicely and has been sleeping through the night without a peep. So far, so good. Dove season starts in a few weeks so I can hardly wait to get her out in the field for her training season!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Rusty"
My all time favorite: "Winston"
"Sparky" lol j/k
"Hunter"?
"Red"
"Bruno"
"Chase"
Old 08-25-2007, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

our wiemariner was named "Jager" , but i'd guess thats probally common for this breed?