Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Naming bucks?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Naming bucks?

The ribcage thread brought up an interesting question.....

Have you named your top bucks TAKEN? Why did they get the name they did?

My first.....I named "The Premonition". I sorta "called" I was gonna kill a deer, that day. I had NO IDEA it would be a buck.....or even this buck (although I had seen this buck, before...and NOT named him).

The second I called "The Bull" (I think GregH called him "The Calf"...which is fine, too). He was the biggest bodied deer I'd ever seen (and still is).....and the width of his back (I had him directly under me on at least 3 occasions) made him look like a "bull" compared to the other "deer" I've seen.

So...if they got a "name".....what was it? How'd he get that name?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Naming bucks?

I've only downed one buck and his head was all gray and his teeth were all worn down, so the wife and I just call him "Grandpa". I do name the bucks I see every year either while scouting or from the trail cam's. Since we just moved here last fall, the only one I have seen this year that I saw last year will keep his name from last year. I have seen a lot of bucks I didn't see last year bedding down by the pond and I will wait to name them after the velvet comes off.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

We name a lot of bucks we see so we know which ones we are talkling about. Most times they are rather un-original names. But a few times they are kind of neat.

I've only taken a few of the bucks we named.
big 6- He was a huge bodied 6 point. When he bounded away the ground shook
brow tines- pretty easy, he had very nice brow tines
points-this was the real nice NT I took a couple years back. The first evening I saw him(2 days before I killed him) all I saw were points going everywhere.

Some other names of bucks that we've had over the years-
Big boy
Tips
Niner (missed him off a deflection where i didn't see the limb)
low rider
wide rack
Crack baby
there he is

most of the others were just a boring point description

Old 07-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm a little confused, only looking for bucks that were named AFTER HARVESTING ?
We've seen sevearl threads about naming them on the hoof. I wanted to know if you'd named the bucks you've TAKEN.....and why they got the name they did. If you named them previously (before taking them)....then that's a bonus.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

We called this buck the "crab claw" buck when we first saw him in the summer.

We just called this buck the wide 10. Should have called him chocolate though...

Old 07-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

unfortunately most of the deer I have seen the last two seasons would fall under PEE WEE - but I normally don't name them, maybe if I got into trail cameras or something probably would
Old 07-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I generally don't name deer before shooting them. I guess I should say the names aren't overly creative. It will be "the big 8," "tall brow buck," "uneven 7," etc. Some get names after being shot. Like the "walkie talkie" buck had his rack broken and the skull healed so the beam came down along the jaw like a headeset microphone. The "Get Some!" buck was thus named because I tried to finish him with a knife and he tried to gore me. I politely reminded him that I still had a gun while yelling "Get some!"
Old 07-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I politely reminded him that I still had a gun while yelling "Get some!"
You should have been a Marine !!

That's not the first time I've been told that.

Quick Reply: Naming bucks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.