Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Your opinions.... please.... >

Your opinions.... please....

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Your opinions.... please....

Old 04-24-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Your opinions.... please....

I just sent a down payment for a 7 day old puppy today. I have been so excited about getting the puppy, I am reading up on training and care just about every night. I have seen a lot of differing opinions on dew claws. The breeder I am getting my puppy from does not clip the dew claws at birth and I asked him to see if he could get it done, however, his vet said that he would have to put the puppy under to get it done so I might as well wait until I get him neutered at 6 months. What do you think about this, is this a big deal???

Should I even bother getting them taken off? I heard that most hunting dogs do have them removed, because if they injure them in the field it could be very painful for them. I also read that some people do not remove them because it helps the dogs in turning. I think most of these people were talking about agility trials. What are you thoughts on this as well???? I'm going to use him for duck, geese and grouse hunting, as well as being a home pet.

Any help would be apreciated....

Oh and my backyard has a wooden fence around it so there isn't any chance of a dew claw getting caught on that, however, I do have a link fence around my garden and that could be a problem....
Old 04-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Your opinions.... please....

I thinkdew claws should be removed from hunting dogs. It's sits too high to effect the turning of a normal hunting dog. If you're hunting grouse, then you're likely running thru thick brush. You run a better chance of a dew claw getting caught and ripped off.

There is also a controversy about getting a dogfixed at a young age or later age. I don't know the issues concerning neutering as I have a female. So, if you're gonna get his dew claw removed, do it before you actually start him hunting.

BTW, I always felt a reputable breeder will always removed dew claws for you.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The whole thing about having to put them under cuz they are to old is a pile of crap. A guy I know does ours for us and does his own on his litters and he does them when they are about 10 days old. Dunno why he does it that late but he does and the pups do great. Never had any problems and the pups are fine during the cutting. I'd say go and find someone who will remove them as soon as possible. If that vet won't do it find another to do it. Better to get it done now than later. Much less stressful on a dog. WCL
Old 04-25-2007, 03:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I go a long with what others are saying and the sooner that they can be removed the better. Most good breeders as Mite has stated would without question already have done that. To many hunting dogs get them torn or ripped off while hunting. This can ruin your hunting trip as well if the dog has it ripped off or torn. It is painfull for the dog and it will cause him to want to attend to his pain. Most are done within a few days of birth before their eyes open up. If they have not been done good they can check in case they need to be clipped again. I know here on the first outing for grouse and woodcock you would likely find at least one of them torn. Good Luck to you on your new pup.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:24 AM

If you are talking about the front dew claws, if they are still attached when you get your pup at 8 weeks, the bone structure is intact. That is why a vet has to put the dog under to do it. Yes, you can have this done when you have him neutered and in fact the vet may give you a discount by doing multiple procedures under one surgery.

If you are talking about an extra toe on the rear foot, check to see if it is attached with a bone or just a pad and claw hanging there by a tab of skin. If it is the skin scenario, take a little rubberband (like the ones kids with braces use) and double it up on a pencil and slide it over the toe and up as close to the foot as possible. The toe/dew claw will fall off within 7-10 days.

BTW, I remove the dew claws on all my pups. It makes for a nicer looking hound and does prevent the possible injury in the field.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:37 AM

LOL, this is funny. I posted this exact same question on another hunting dog messageboard and got the exact opposite response!
Take a look:
http://www.huntingpa.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=842195&page=0&am p;vc=&PHPSESSID=#Post842195

I guess it just goes to show the difference in opinion on this...
Old 04-25-2007, 05:05 PM

I do my pups dew claws at 3 days old. No knocking them out or anything. I've bought older dogs with them on and has done nothing but cause trouble. If your breeder is telling you that 3 day old pups need to be knocked out in order to take the dew claws, I think your breeder doesn't want to spend any more money on a litter than he has to. Sounds to me like he is wanting a bigger profit. Vets around here charge 10 - 15 per pup to dew Tails and Dew claws. I have since learned to do it my self (yes to save money) but it is still done. If I am not home the wife loads them up and off to the Vet.
Why have my puppy buyers spend 300.00 more to have it done at a later date?
Good Luck
WYOWIRES