Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

When do you say goodby?

Old 03-26-2007, 10:20 AM

Default When do you say goodby?

Not sure who to ask so why not the folks here? I have a long time family companion, Golden retriver, who just turned 15 2 weeks ago. The poor guy has bad arthrytis (sp?) on his back legs to the point where he can no long stand up with out help. We now have a harness he wears all the time so we can lift and walk him to/from food, water and bathroom etc. It is rare for him to stand alone for more than a few seconds at a time. The dog also has started growing those wonderful lumps under his skin. He now has a returning lump, cut out once already on his right side chest just behind his front leg. Daamn thing must weigh 3 or 4 LBs now, football size. Did I menytion that this latest lump now needs to stay bandaged so the dog won't lick it to death, so it does oose but not infected, yet. . . .I don't think he would make it through another trip to have it removed again. Not to mention eye and hearing going too.

The boys 10, 14 along with the wife feel he must be happy if he wags his tail once in a while.

I keep hoping to poor guy will go in his sleep but he keeps hanging in. . .

I think it is time to call it quits. The pound would charge a small fee if I take him in for the final shot and disposal.

If I was still in Texas I would take him out to the ranch and take him for a nice walk and then do it my self but I now live in town and don't have such an option any more.

Thoughts?

Old 03-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: When do you say goodby?

That is the eternal question. Not one that anyone wants to answer. For me its not when they are in pain, or happy or not, or can't stand up. Its when they lose their own dignity and I can see that they are "embarrassed", for lack of a better term, for not being able to do the things we always did. I am sure I will get shelled for saying that, but go ahead, I can take it. You spend enough time with a dog, you can see these things. It becomes selfish for me not wanting to go through of pain of death.
I can't shoot my own dogs. I take them to a vet and get the shot. But I bury them myself. They are buried wrapped in my hunting coat, with two shells in the pocket, and a bird in their mouth. Just the way that makes me feel good about the whole thing.
I tend to have to buy more coats than most.

But since you asked. And I don't know you sir, but if your dog has to wear a harness to get walked, it has lost his dignity, and that tail wag, that is the embarrassment I am talking about. Let him go.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

It is always tough, but I think you'll have to let him go. I cried like a little girl when my ol' dog died, but when it's time it's time...
Old 03-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with the sentiment.

I think most people will come victim at some point of being too selfish and forget about what's best for the dog. My viewpoint is that if you need to take an invasive approach to keep the dog around, it's time. It sounds the case for you.

I certainly don't envy your position. Best of luck in whichever way you go.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

It is always harder when they are yours. My buddy kept his lab about 2 years longer than he should of. If the health of your pal is only getting worse and already is not great, it may not be best to keep him in pain. It is your choice, but maybe it's time to let him go. Sorry about your buddy.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:35 PM

Thanks all for the replies. . Good to hear that I am not alone in thinking that quality of life is important. Has been and still remains a tough sell with Wife and boys. What I need is a vet that would allow me to put him down at night while at home, then we could say we went in his sleep.

I may just have to suck it up and take care of this and be a bad guy in their eyes for a few days.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:46 PM

I just had this conversation about my dog a week ago. She's a yellow lab and she'll be 13 in November. Thankfully, she still gets around just fine. Last week she started getting a real nasty hack, though. More than the normal cough you usually hear when they catch a bug. We decided that the best choice would be to put her down if she had an incurable condition brought on by her old age or cancer that would cost a fortune to treat. She's lived a long, happy life and we owe it to her to not let her suffer. Luckily, she just had sever pnumonia (vet said he couldn't believe she was still able to breath) that can be treated for a modest fee using medication. But now it's official. If she starts getting bad, we'll kindly end her pain.

Good luck to you. Saying goodbye to an old friend is not an easy thing.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

Oh man, I really feel your pain. Been there, it's one of the hardest things you will do in your life. Only you can make that very personal decision. Here is a poem that I have held on to for many years.

Bruce

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it be I grow frail and weak,
and pain should wake me from my sleep,
then you must do what must be done,
for this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,
don't let your grief then stay your hand,
for this day, more than the rest,
your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
what is to come will have no fears;
you'd not want me to suffer...so,
when the time comes...please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
but stay with me until the end,
and hold me firm, and speak to me,
until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time, you, too, will see,
it is the kindness you do for me;
although my tail is last waved,
from pain and suffering I've been saved.

Do not grieve that it should be you,
who must decide this thing to do.
We've been so close - we two these years -
don't let your heart hold any tears.

--Anonymous
Old 03-27-2007, 05:55 AM
Spike

I feel your pain, I have a 14 yr old Lab. dreading the day. Something I found to help me through.
GC

“A DOGS PLEA”
Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me. Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hands between blows. Your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn. Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my ear.
Please take me inside when I am cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal no longer accustomed to the bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play, and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.
And, my friend, when I am very old, or become very ill, no longer enjoying good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this world knowing with the last breath I draw, that my fate was always safest in your hands.

Author “Desert Dogs”
Old 03-27-2007, 03:01 PM

This is a tough one. You just have to hope you'll know when the time is right and have the strength to do it. Keeping a loved animal in pain seems much more cruel than ending their suffering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.