Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Question on my lion hounds >

Question on my lion hounds

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Question on my lion hounds

Old 11-23-2006, 01:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question on my lion hounds

I posted this same question on another site I go to, and figured I would post it here also to generate some other responses.

Well, I went bird hunting with my friend this weekend. Yesterday morning before I came home, we went for a quick little drive, and I left my dogs in the dog box on my trailer at his house. We got home and I decided to let the dogs out so they could stretch their legs. Not two minutes after letting them out, my 9 month old pup starts barking treed at a little tom-kitten my friend has running around (treed in a fenderwell of their jeep). The mom soon joined in, but the dad didn't seem to be in it. He was kind of sulking, and just walking around. I wasn't sure what the deal was, so I just loaded them up and we came home.

Well, today, the dogs were barking, so I opened up the back door to take a peek. No sooner than I did that, did the same dog look exactly the same, and sulk back into his doghouse.

I am thinking that he somehow things if he barks at all he will be in trouble? I do yell at the dogs if they bark too much, I am guessing I just yelled at him too much?

Not sure what I can do about this. He trailed ok last winter on the tracks we found, but never got anything treed. Is there a cure for this other than a bullet (already have used that on that pups littermate this year)?

Thanks guys

Old 11-23-2006, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question on my lion hounds

Charlie,

Barking is part of being a hound dog. I tell mine to shut up when they are at home but as soon as I go inside they bark. I've been around alot of hounds and it seems that most people's hounds are people shy if not absolutely afraid of people. Mine I raised like house dogs. I played with them and let them be hound dogs without alot of corrective punishment.

Most hound dogs are stupid in the ways of manners. They don't really have the attention span to play sit, stay, or rollover. Some may but most don't. Where they are the kings of dogs is in tracking and treeing. Trying to get a hound to do something that is not a common thing to them will not go very good. They will forget it the very next morning. Beating only hurts the cause.

I would suggest you spend alot of one on one time with your male before it's too late. And also start working the house cat with you and the male alone. So that he knows that its alright that he does his job with you right there.The main thing is not to be too hard handed on the dog even in the field. You want the dog to come back to you and not say well i'm gonna be introuble anyway so I'll go hunt whatever and get punished later.

I'm not an expert but I think tracking with hounds is the most exciting thing to do with dogs I've done. I wish you good luck with your dogs.

Here's what a good lion hunters told me about tracking lions. When on a set a lion tracks walk them out until they seem fresh and then walk another mile then you can think about releasing the hounds.

I'm training three 1 yrold pups this winter so I'm excited. Alot
Old 11-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question on my lion hounds

Cherokee,

Thanks for the input. I do let my dogs pretty much do what they will when hunting, but around the house I just don't like them barking. The other two have been treated the same, so I am guessing he took it just a tad harder than the others. Heck, I only have 4 commands from them: no, sit, here, and load-up. I will just work with him by himself some, and maybe just be a little more lenient than before.