Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 How does one find good breeders? >

How does one find good breeders?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

How does one find good breeders?

Old 11-05-2006, 01:35 PM

Default How does one find good breeders?

I am looking to get another pup soon. Either a Yellow Lab or a German Shorthaired Pointer and want to know how does one go about finding a real good breeder for either breed? Any resources on the net? I would also buy out of my own state.

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 11-05-2006, 02:03 PM

Default RE: How does one find good breeders?

I have a friend in South Carolina that I can provide a # for, he has breed yellows for almost thirty years, has an awsome line of retrievers, and I have purchased and worked several, for myself, and my personal friends, his lines of dogs do it all, from pheasants, to waterfowl, very versital dogs. Thanks Jonesy

Jonesy's Gun Dogs
Berea, Ky
Itrain and or fix all breed bird dogs, and retrievers
Old 11-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: procos

I am looking to get another pup soon. Either a Yellow Lab or a German Shorthaired Pointer and want to know how does one go about finding a real good breeder for either breed? Any resources on the net? I would also buy out of my own state.

Thanks,

Chuck
very good question..many breeding dogs are doing it for money..how do you find a breeder that has great line of dogs and is in it for the breed not money, is a great question..

price is not a gaurantee that dog is great..first, i dont like the idea of getting a dog from litter based on deposit but thats how its done..

many rec breeder and they dont know a thing if dogs are good or healthy..

i know great kennel club thats breeds labs,well known too..but they go around trying to find dogs to mate ..i dont like that..

again i am no authority on this..i would want to see mother/farther,no pictures, i want to see them in PERSON..if any advice i could give is that, DONT BUY A PUUPY UNLESS YOU SEE BOTH.. i can tell by that if i want a pup from that litter..

also, health info from both RECENTLY tested,is info i would want to see..
Old 11-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

I go to this forum from time to time. http://www.shorthairs.net/phpBB2/index.php

Here's another site I found awhile ago...haven't looked at it in awhile so not sure how good it is:
http://www.mollyjones.com/pages/gspwebsites.htm

I think they do have a breeders list and/or forum for breeders. Be careful though, as some of the breeders I have GSP's that look to be only show dogs.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:54 PM

as a breeder and trainer the course of action I would recommend is to take your time and research: check all health avenues, eye's, ears, teeth, hips, elbows, skin & genetic diseases. look for bloodlines with something to offer FC, AFC, JH, SH, MH etc. talk to more than one breeder, look at the parents, do they hunt? what ablility level are they at? how often are they hunted?
what are you looking at for a dog? on in the field off at home? high preformance? mellow?
The thing I run into most is someone looking for something right now...if you really want a good dog, take your time.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lostmountainlabs

as a breeder and trainer the course of action I would recommend is to take your time and research: check all health avenues, eye's, ears, teeth, hips, elbows, skin & genetic diseases. look for bloodlines with something to offer FC, AFC, JH, SH, MH etc. talk to more than one breeder, look at the parents, do they hunt? what ablility level are they at? how often are they hunted?
what are you looking at for a dog? on in the field off at home? high preformance? mellow?
The thing I run into most is someone looking for something right now...if you really want a good dog, take your time.
i agree with you 100%..take your time..i looked at my puppy at breeders home 5 times before i picked him..i also agree on if you want dog for home, get a dog that does not hunt..its hard to have great hunting dog and is great in home..

i am lucky, i have 1 but i seen many that are not good for home..i dont like idea of picking dog on your deposit UNLESS i am first..

i would search a good breeder and let him know you want first or second pick and your willing to pay more to get that..like you said, TAKE YOUR TIME..
Old 11-09-2006, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

Get ready to run you're phone bill up a bit. If you happen to know a person or two with a good dog ,ask them who was thier breeder.
It's up to you to do your homework. Look for a breeder who certify hip, elbows and eyes and breeds a dog that is for your style of hunting. Good breeders will stand behind the pup they sell you in health dept. and it's huntability. It's not easy to find a good dog. When my last Lab passed on at almost 14 years old it took me 2 years to find a new breeder as the one I had got my previous 3 Labs had passed on ,he was 73 when I got my last dog. At that time I was living in NJ and was running to Maine for my Labs.
Take your time ,do the research and you'll have a best friend and hunting companion for years to come.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ruddyduck

Get ready to run you're phone bill up a bit. If you happen to know a person or two with a good dog ,ask them who was thier breeder.
It's up to you to do your homework. Look for a breeder who certify hip, elbows and eyes and breeds a dog that is for your style of hunting. Good breeders will stand behind the pup they sell you in health dept. and it's huntability. It's not easy to find a good dog. When my last Lab passed on at almost 14 years old it took me 2 years to find a new breeder as the one I had got my previous 3 Labs had passed on ,he was 73 when I got my last dog. At that time I was living in NJ and was running to Maine for my Labs.
Take your time ,do the research and you'll have a best friend and hunting companion for years to come.
here is good breeder in pa..www.wetland-retrievers.com..he raises hunting dogs and has LITTLE LONG LEGGED LABS,thats ones you want for UPLAND..i think he was charging 400 dollars a pup..
Old 11-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

If you choose a lab www.retrievertraining.net has dog classifieds. Look for parents with titles such as MH, AFC, FC and NFC. The more in the last three generations the better.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:56 PM

Here is what I would do (and did). For the shorthair, contact some of the judges from the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association NAVDHA and call up a few. Tell them what you are looking for and as them if any breeders dogs that they have judged stand out. You will find a few names keep coming up -- THERE YOU GO!

Try the same for the lab with NAHRA or UKC or AKC type events.

Quick Reply: How does one find good breeders?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.