HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How does one find good breeders?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006, 06:18 PM
sproulman
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How does one find good breeders?

ORIGINAL: lostmountainlabs

as a breeder and trainer the course of action I would recommend is to take your time and research: check all health avenues, eye's, ears, teeth, hips, elbows, skin & genetic diseases. look for bloodlines with something to offer FC, AFC, JH, SH, MH etc. talk to more than one breeder, look at the parents, do they hunt? what ablility level are they at? how often are they hunted?
what are you looking at for a dog? on in the field off at home? high preformance? mellow?
The thing I run into most is someone looking for something right now...if you really want a good dog, take your time.
i agree with you 100%..take your time..i looked at my puppy at breeders home 5 times before i picked him..i also agree on if you want dog for home, get a dog that does not hunt..its hard to have great hunting dog and is great in home..

i am lucky, i have 1 but i seen many that are not good for home..i dont like idea of picking dog on your deposit UNLESS i am first..

i would search a good breeder and let him know you want first or second pick and your willing to pay more to get that..like you said, TAKE YOUR TIME..