Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Couldnt believe it

Old 04-22-2006, 08:23 PM

Default Couldnt believe it

My wife calls me at work yesterday and wanted to know if I noticed our 3 month old black lab acting weird. She said he was really cowering when you reached for his head. I knew he was teething but I didnt think it would hurt him to the point she was talking about. Well we took him to the vet this morning and turns out the vet thinks a small Copper Head got him. The puncture marks were right on the lower gums. Weve got him on meds for it right now but it sure has been quite a scary ordeal. If it would have been a bigger snake, he probably wouldnt have made it. Those silly dogs are just like out kids. Take care guys
Old 04-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Couldnt believe it

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your pup will be okay!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:02 AM

I would very respectfully say that you were right in your first reaction (couldnt believe it). I dont think copperheads are found in Iowa, are they?? I would wonder if the cat latched on to his lip- often cat bites will leave fang marks similar to a snake. But, as always, I could be wrong.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:12 AM

Hey Dogdr, I was questioning that myself, but was chicken to open that door, things have changed, snakes can be anywhere, I know when copperhead snips a dog here or anywhere, the head or area that is bit, swells like a pumpkin. Cat does make little more sense, not disagreeing in any way, just quietly thinking.Thanks Jonesy
Old 04-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

You guys are right, we don't have copperheads in Iowa. We don't
have CJSDuck either. I happen to know he is living in southern MO right now and I'm surecopperheads live in the Ozarks. By the way, I'll be glad when he gets out of the Army and back to Iowa where he belongs!
Jim (Dad)
Old 04-24-2006, 10:56 PM

Thanks Dad. and sorry guys, I guess I should have been more detailed on my location since I claim Iowa as home for all hunting and intensive purposes. I was talking to 2Eagles (Dad) yesterday and told him I was getting very excited to move back home to Iowa where my dogs and myself are atop the food chain!
Old 05-04-2006, 04:21 AM

I know how you feel I had a dog rattlesnake bit on Dec 26th,06 the snake was about 3 feet long and not sluggish. the fang marks were about 1 1/2 inch seperation and she took a big dose luckily she did survive so after that all of my dogs recieved the new snake vaccine.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:21 PM

sorry to hear about your dogs getting bit. but a little more on the humerous side. we got a german shorthair pup 3 years ago and our backyard was finced in and had a low charge electrical wire about 4 inchesoff the ground to keep our older dog in and the puppy ran into it one day and naturally got shocked, i guess it made him mad so he bit the wire and he kept fighting with the wire for a couple of minutes untill i unplugged it. thought you might get a laugh from that and good luck wiht your dogs.