Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Kennel Problem

Old 04-30-2006, 05:56 AM
Spike

Default Kennel Problem

I have a French Pointer. He is only 6 months old. He mostly stays in the house and goes outside when he wants to. I have close to two acres and an electric fence so he stays within the property line. During the day when we are at work I like to leave him outside in his 10x10 kennel. The only problem is he will not pee or poop in his kennel. I wish he would so I don't have to rush home sometimes so I can let him out to releive himself. Any suggetions on how to let him know its ok to go in his kennel if he has to
Old 04-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Kennel Problem

Block of a small section of the kennel with a partial wall and put wood shavings (not cedar) on the floor area in the small space you made. If he still doesn't use this try placing some of his droppings or a rag with his urine on it in the shavings. Just remember a dog doesn't like to do his business where he lives and if he is in that kennel for 6-8 hrs. that's where he lives.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:51 PM

Dig a hole and place a post upright within it so that it sticks up a foot or two off the ground. I bet he'll lift a leg!
Old 05-09-2006, 04:23 PM

Dr. Foster and Smith, you can search for them on-line, has a pee post that you stick in the ground and it has a sent the dog can smell that saids "go here" I don't know if it works but I would give it a try if I were you. just put it in the corner of the kennel farthest from where the dog house is.