Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 when to switch to adult food? >

when to switch to adult food?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

when to switch to adult food?

Old 03-31-2006, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default when to switch to adult food?

my pup is 9 months old, and the food that im feeding him says on the bag to switch to adult at 12months. last week i had him to the vet and he was 50lbs and the vet said to keep him at that weight. she also toldme to switch to adult food now. first yes he may be done growing but really cant they grow more why keep him at 50lbs, also why the switch to adult food. whats the difference between puppy and adult food? thanks
Old 04-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: when to switch to adult food?

Most dogs aren't skeletally mature until they are at least a year old......So, at 9 months, I'd kinda doubt it if your dog is trully done growing. I'd keep the dog on puppy food until it is a year. There are various differences between puppy and adult foods. One of the most important is the amount of minerals (especially Calcium) between the two. Puppy food contains less Calcium than adult food does (as it should) and the Protein : Fat ratios are different..

Old 04-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Doc E is probaly right, however I went with what the kennel preferred as I felt that they had them for years and had a better idea on this than I did.
Mine the fat content was higher than I could get from the puppy food so I kept them on a good quality dog food all the time. Although I would mix a can of puppy food in once and a while. I went with eagle pack and when the local vet checked it out he said that the food did good for either the puppy or the adult dogs so I went with it. We have to travel a long ways to get it and it is quite pricey here but it seems to agree with them.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm doing the same as Phil. My breeder recommended that I keep to puppy on a high quality adult dog food which is what I am going. That have a long line of great dogs, so I believe what they are telling me.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Doc- thats what i was thinking.. im going to keep him on puppy for now.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Mix it at 6 months, we mix 25 adult with 75 pup and at 9 months we are 50/50 just so they get used to it and nothing gets ruin in the insides of the dog
Old 04-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

since ive gotten my pup hes never been a big eater. he will never eat when i put the food out just when he wants too. but ever since i got him fixed when i feed him he gobbles it up. since the day i brought him home he has eaten it all once i put it in the dish. this is not a big deal but was wondering if anyone knew why this is?