Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

size matters

Old 12-24-2005, 01:00 PM

Default size matters

I grew up hunting beagles for a verity of small game. Whatever they flushed up, be it feather of fur, I try to put in the freezer. I’ve always owned/hunted over beagles and always will. This said, they are not being you typical upland hunting bird dog. My current little hunting buddy is a three-year old tri-color male named Truman. He’s the perfect size for my house & family but I’d like to get a more traditional upland dog at some point. Anyone have any suggestions on a breed that’s around the same size as my 15inch 25lb -35lb beagle (pointing or flushing)?
Old 12-24-2005, 03:08 PM

Default RE: size matters

Unless you can find a hunting strain of cocker spaniel, which is not easy anymore, I would look at a Brittany. A small females will be about 30 pounds. A very large male will go 50. That should show you the extremities. I would bet some female Brittany dogs have stayed in the high 20 pound range. Now if you just want a meat dog, get a fiest or small mountain cur!
Old 12-25-2005, 12:11 AM
Typical Buck

If size is that important then I would probably look into getting a french britt or a springer. A french britt are on the small side with females running at around +30lbs or so. But they are taller at the shoulder than your beagles. Most upland dogs will be. A springer (flusher) tend to be smaller than the french britt. The springer is the smallest traditional upland dog that I know.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:24 AM

I'll start off saying that I am not going to do what most people do and say that the breed of dog they own is the best and there is no other dog breed that could possibly match up. Just here to give you another option, although it is not as traditional as the Brittany or Springer. I hunt over a Boykin Spaniel, 40 top end for a male and 30 for a female with ranges between 25-40 pounds. I am mostly a duck hunter and the Boykin is a strong swimmer who meets the wife's household size requirement. But I also hunt the field for dove and pheasant and he does great (only 11 months). I believe most hunters who own Boykins actually get them to hunt in the field. Anyway, I love Brittanys too and would love to get one for my second dog - I would get another Boykin, but why not have two different breeds to compliment one another. Good Luck
Old 12-25-2005, 05:54 AM

Most people have a preference for a pointer or flusher. The Springer has been mentioned, but a 20 inch Springer will typically weigh around 50 pounds. Bigger than you want.

A good option that won't sacrifice performance is an English setter. You can find a small, big-running setter that won't weigh over 40 pounds and will cover a lot more ground than a boykin or French brit.

Old 12-25-2005, 07:24 AM

Here's a link and an e-mail, e-mail I have seen the dogs perform, pretty hot!! I am pointing dog, big rough and tough, whatever breed, and the cute little house dog, kinda put me in my place for the day. Lot of bird soc. while growing up. Made a fine dog. [email protected]http://www.fieldcockers.com/ Thanks Jonesy
Old 12-26-2005, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

Something must be strange here. I've seen alot of people hunting with springers and I meet alot of people with springers at the dog park. It's a common place for dog owners. At any one time there's approximately 10 dogs in a 10 acre area. Perhaps I'm just noticing field types but the springers I've seen are small, around 30 lbs. My guess is that some kennel here is breeding small springers so they can hunt under blackberries. My setter is only about 35 lbs, and they are smaller than her.

Finding a small setter can be alot ofwork especially if you want it under 40lbs. I bought mine sight unseen. I heard good things about this breeder and I was looking at a second breeding. I spoke with the owner on the phone and he assured me mine was going to be like the mother, under 40lbs. I didn't get the pick of the litter but I got the second pick and chose the smallest girl. The first pick has matured 2 months faster (birdy) then mine and rest of her littermates are just getting it. I lucked out as I'm rather please with how this one is turning out.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:02 AM

field bred English Cocker Spaniel is just what you are looking for. Here's Barney at 16 months sitting with his AKC Junior Hunter ribbons. He's 20 months now and is anuts for pheasants. Does great on quail and rabbits also. Call Jay Parrish of Blue Chip Kennels in Hampton, Iowa and tell him Marty sent you.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:06 PM

GSP
Old 04-11-2006, 12:06 PM

If I had a buddy that was breeding his GSP and wanted to give a nice little female to his buddy’s little baby daughter, then said buddy’s wife might be willing to let he and new GSP puppy in the house after she cools off for a couple of days. But, I don’t know if I have a friend like that

Quick Reply: size matters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.