Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Building new kennels

Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Building new kennels

Concrete or Rock dust? Give me some pros and cons
Old 08-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Building new kennels

Concrete. It costs more but will last a lot longer, you have better design control for drainage issues. Everyone I know uses concrete, pros and amateurs/hobby breeders and everyone else in between.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

croncrete man, do it one time and you are done.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:39 PM

Concrete al the way. Used to work at a kennel. Trust everybody on this one. More sanitary to, and easier to clean.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:36 PM

Concrete, I built new kennels and it is SO much easier to keep clean. I ran a water line to it and just shovel and spray OR just spray it all out. I left the wire up an inch and I can just wash all the manure and all right out the back and from there into a pipe cut in half like a PVC trough and into an old drain ditch. Works great. Once a month or soI can use some Clorox on it and a long handle brush.

I didn't dress it ultra smooth and it keeps the pads in shape as well as nails down. Be careful here as it is a fine line between too rough and too smooth. Too rough and larvae of bad bugs/worms can live in it, and it holds the urine and fecal material. Too smooth and when a gyp pees on it she can't stand up and neither can you! It also won't keep the pads and nails in shape.

One other hint keep the wire up and framed all the edges. If you can find galvanized or better yet coated wire use it....then it will last forever.

Good Luck
Old 08-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to have some new kennels nextyear also. the cement pens are So much better IMO, easier to clean, maintain, condition pads, they are permanent.