Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Best Pointer?

Old 11-18-2005, 06:27 PM

Default RE: Best Pointer?

Any pointing breed is going to run bigger than a Lab. Goes without saying.

No flushing Lab can run slow enough or fast enough not to interfere with a big running pointer.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WAYNE1

Suprised no one's suggested a Pointing Lab......best of both world's...
For sure - for sure. An ideal retiever and pointer all in one package. No need for a 2nd dog.

Old 11-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WAYNE1

Yes they honor point...their steady to flush, steady to shot. I have a 9 month old yellow pointing lab...sired by DocE's MH Casey. Not sure about the range....but I know from watching Casey at field test's...Doc has him working pretty close.
He only works close at Field tests, because the rules require that the dog stay within shooting range (10 - 30 yards). Out in the real world, Casey will hunt at whatever range I have him do. 10 yards is fine but he will also range 200 - 300 yards if commanded to do so.
That's one of the things that's so cool about PLs, they will work at whatever range you wnat them to do -- unlike MOST pointing breeds that work at whatever distance THEY want to. Personally, I prefer not to have to use track shoes if I don't have to.
I'd say that when out hunting in the real world, I usually have Casey between 40 and 100 yards.

Old 11-18-2005, 07:40 PM

Key word: Foundation; creates, and makes,ALL kinds of mighty fine K9's. Thanks Jonesy
Old 11-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

To all i have offended. Obby you may get any kind of dog you want. It is your decision. I just stated my opinion that i like pointers and setters the best. Some dogs are better for different people. I wasnt trying to start an argument. So to you guys that run any dogs but pointers and setters, I AM SORRY IF I OFFENDED YOU!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2005, 01:57 AM
Typical Buck

Then my recommendation to Obby1 is to call Doc E for another PL sinceObby already has a PL and know the breed.

Blueditch42
I'm also a fan of english setters and english pointers. More setters than pointers. Half the fun of watching a dog point is watching that tail go crazy when on scent. And when they do lock up *bam* tail stops dead. You definitely can't fault them on their noses or their drive. EPs are terrific in the field but too impersonal in the home but still really nice dogs as I hunted behindmy friends onefor a few years. But with the setter, you just can't beat that tail
Old 11-19-2005, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks mite. I wasnt trying to tick anyone off. I was just stating my opinion. I have a pointer and a setter both, and that i what i like. But like someone said in an earlier post. "different strokes for different folks"!!! Good luck obby in finding you a dog.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:10 AM

I've got a Brit and really enjoy her. She certainly isn't timid and will run multiple days of hard hunting. I would suggest that you define your search a liitle bit. What kind of birds are you going to hunt? What type of terrain do you hunt? Will the dog be a family dog? Do you want a large or medium size dog? So on and so forth. Whatever you choose, make sure that the breeding is sound and the genetics as good as you can afford. If you do this, both you and your dog will be happier. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 12-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Typical Buck

sproulman,
why not a springer? A small springer is just the size of a larger beagle. They hunt birds and get into places most dogs won't go. But with the beagle, they'll chase unwanted game like if the beagle scents a rabbit or squirrel, off they go.

Then you run into the pointer with flusher issue for both dogs (if running a PL). I have a small setter that willhunt blackberries bushes,she's < 35lbs. I know of another fully grown setter only about 30lbs. But then I have an issue of calling for her to flush the bird because there's no way I'm going in there.

Quick Reply: Best Pointer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.