Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Best Pointer?

Old 11-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best Pointer?

Well fellas....Pointer and flusher is a tough combo... I have seen broke dogs that another dog flushing rattled them pretty good! I think you both had valid points. I personally would not trade my GSP for anything.. I can't take the hair of a Brit or Setter. Jonesy alot of your advice I have read seems to be on the mark. I train with a professional trainer your advice seems to go along with his.... He has not steered me wrong yet....
Old 11-14-2005, 07:08 PM

I hunt my GSP with a buddy's lab without any problems. They work apart from each other and I can only think of one time the lab flushed my GSP's bird while she had it on point and my GSP didn't have a problem with it or show any signs of being less steady. Keep in mind that my gsp was like 3 years old before she hunted with this lab, maybe that makes some differance.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

My opinion, there aint but two kinds of birddogs, pointers and setters.
No offense to you shorthair and britt guys!
Old 11-15-2005, 07:42 PM

I'm with you blueditch I have a pointer and it just flat out hunts any other breed i put itin field with. Smart, tough,athletic, and a vaccume cleaner for a nose!! pointers are hard to beat.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Blueditfdich42

My opinion, there aint but two kinds of birddogs, pointers and setters.
No offense to you shorthair and britt guys!

B.S. Shorthair is only part of the name, German Shorthaired Pointer!

As long as the dog finds birds, that is what matters.

Different breeds excel in different situations. To say onebreed is a bird dog and the other isn't when both are bred to hunt birds is just plain absurd. Just because a GSP or a Brittany isn't what you prefer doesn't mean that they wouldn't suit someone else very well.

Why don't you just say there are only two kinds of guns, Brownings and Rugers? I will tell you why, because there is a plethora of other guns out there and to limit your approval to just those two may cause you or anyone to whom you give advise to miss out on the perfect gun for them.

If you want to suggest a breed to someone why not give the person some info other than “Trust Blueditfdich42, because he likes pointers and setters one would be the prefect dog for you.” Why is a Pointer or Setter a good choice? What does each one have over a GSP? Give the person asking the question some info he can base a decision on.

[jashoffa steps off his soap box]

I am not trying to start something (that has been done enough on this thread) just feel like Obby1 deserves some info to help him decide what to do.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:59 AM

BLUEDITCH42 DO YOU NOT REALIZE THAT BRITS ARE SETTERS
THEY ARE ALSO THE ONLY SETTERS THAT POINT

AND YES GSP THE P IS FOR POINTER
Old 11-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

RUFNECK
Clarification please. I thought the Brittany descended fromthe spaniel like the English, Gordon, and Irish (including Reds) setters. Setters were develop to 'set' when finding birds so they could use nets. Versitiles were developed because they where the jack-of-all-trades forthe single non-gentry owner. Don't know the history of the Brittany and too lazy to find out.

Speaking generalities, I would sugget obby1 still refrain from running a pointer with a flusher unless he's willing to make sure the flusher will honor point. I also experience that with my young setter. Bad idea.

If he has to get a pointer type then I would suggest aenglish pointer or wide ranging setter - thinking open fields here. A GSP/Brit will do if it runs big at least bigger than your lab. (But then you already have a retriever so why go versitile?) I'm saying this because the dogs won't be hunting the same area at the same time. Pointer can find birds further out and the lab can pick up strays the pointer missed. I would also suggest a broke dog. A puppy is going to build bad habits if the lab doesn't honor. Then you will have a dog that flushes too far in front.

Ifhe does go versitile and your lab doesn't honor, then you will eventually end up with another lab in versitile clothing but won't be able to mark as well.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:11 PM

your right i was half asleep when i wrote that was thinking spaniel when you wrote setter sorry about that oh and no im not lazy was just made a mistake it happens
i run a brit and shes a very good pointer but yes she comes from the spaniel family sorry for getting you upset but dont be calling people lazy you dont know[>:]
Old 11-16-2005, 06:14 PM

I also agree about not getting a pointer unless your willing to spend the cash to train it right or your pointer will break on the birds good luck
Old 11-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Typical Buck

LOL. No I'm calling myself lazy . I thought you knew somehistory about Brittanies and was asking for more info because I'm too lazy to look it up.

Quick Reply: Best Pointer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.