Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

dogs vs coon

Old 06-26-2005, 10:26 AM

Default RE: dogs vs coon

Bearmaster, Since your dogs are inside dogs I would definitely not risk it. I coon hunt with my hounds regularly, and I have seen quite a few fights. It takes several fights before a dog can really take care of itself against a full grown coon, and until then it really needs an experienced dogor two with it to protect it. I would either trap the coon, or just stake out the spot and shoot it. (Be careful not to do this out of season, or risk getting a fine.)
Old 06-27-2005, 07:52 PM

Your dog should be fine. I have a 8 year old blue heeler which has no problem when it comes to tangling with coons. In the past year she has killed 3 coons, 2 badgers, and a wood chuck( it was a 4 hour fight, but she killed him with very minor wounds) Just make sure it doesn't get out of control, since your dog is inexperienced when it comes to fights.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:41 PM

House dogs. You have enough to do the job. but hte thing is they dont knw how to fight a coon. if they all pitch in then yea no prob. But a coon will easily jump on your dog and then you might have a trip to the vet. on land no prob. In deep water im beting the coon will kill your dogs.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:42 AM

You have three pit bulls? I would clear out my garage and bait it with some stinky fish or the like. Then when the coon came in I would lock him in there and let the dogs into the garage from the house. That would be the most entertainment I've had in months! Even if the coon gets into one of the dogs, the other two will rip him up so fast he won't have a chance to do much damage. Your only concern is going to be getting the dogs to give up their kill. You may have to let them eat it LOL.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:56 PM

DONT LET YOUR DOGS GO AFTER A COON, even if they kill it it will get a few licks in. Alot of coons have rabies and I dont knoe if you want to take that chance. Shoot the thing or as someone else said get a live trap, he will be in it befor ya close the door.

Some dogs can handle coons some cant, do ya realy want to know if your dogs cant. They would most likely put it up a tree.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Guss

DONT LET YOUR DOGS GO AFTER A COON, even if they kill it it will get a few licks in. Alot of coons have rabies and I dont knoe if you want to take that chance. Shoot the thing or as someone else said get a live trap, he will be in it befor ya close the door.

Some dogs can handle coons some cant, do ya realy want to know if your dogs cant. They would most likely put it up a tree.
Agreed! Now that makes sense.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:59 AM

As long as your dogs' vaccinations are up to date I don't see a problem with it. Especially with three dogs with such powerful jaws against one coon. I can't really see the outcome any way, but one. You should have one dead coon in a very very short period of time. I don't know how you guys feel about keeping up on your vaccinations, but in NJ if you don't stay up on your rabies vaccination they can suspend your driver's license! I happen to think that is some major BS, but it is what it is.