Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

coon dogs?

Old 03-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default coon dogs?

I'm 15 yrs old and my family wants some coon dogs. Do you have any suggestions on what to get? How many? We live in nebraska if that means anything.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:42 PM

Default RE: coon dogs?

Walkers, of course.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:56 PM

Seriously, it depends on what you want in a dog and your prefered style of hunting. You do not mention whether you want hounds or curs, both are quite capable but very diferrent in style of hunting. I myself hunt Clover bred Walkers. You might check out the UKC site.
www.ukcdogs.com/forums
Old 03-28-2005, 05:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I like Blue Ticks for coons

Old 03-28-2005, 06:38 PM

Different breeds have different styles. The Walkers are high-strung cracked out "go-getters" The old blue tick bloods are alot more methodical, some newer bloodlines are critized for being bred to compete in the fast-paces tournaments and behave more like walkers. There's alot sites out there for "hounders" or coon hunters....google them and read all you can, you'll get an idea for their individual characteristics. You'll also be able to find the famous bloodlines and reputable breeders.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree that Walkers are good too, but everybody I know down here
in my area have Blue Ticks for coon's.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Banned

There is as much difference in the strains within the hound breeds as there is between the breeds themselves. You need to know what you expect from your hound. If nite hunts are part of the plan, you need a "go yonder" hot nosed, simi silent, quik tree dog that is a little rough around the tree. If he isn't rough, the other dogs will move him away from the tree and he will not likely get credit for his work. If you want to hear a good race and tree every coon that he strikes, a colder nosed, slower track dog will work. If you plan on some big game, more grit is needed along with speed. I personally prefer a good plott hound, but again check for a strain that is known to preform the way you want YOUR dog to perform. If you feed him, you are the only one he has to please.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:46 PM

A Streak or Busher bred Original Mountain Cur is a good bet, too. For that matter, just about any of the major cur strains will work, these are just two that have well-proven themselves. Here is a pic of a heavily Streak bred cur. Caught this one on the ground.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:07 PM
Banned

You are right, the cur breeds have some very good, game catching, tree dogs.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:20 PM

I know there are many out there....but this is the forum I've learned most of my stuff from. Its got a seperate section for each breed. You can learn the pros and cons of each as well as hear some of the better bloodlines' names thrown around. Read up, you'll learn alot by just wandering around.

http://www.exit201.com/shadetree/ind...ed13edddaa79b&