Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Turkey/Polk Co/Arkansas >

Turkey/Polk Co/Arkansas

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Turkey/Polk Co/Arkansas

Old 04-12-2005, 08:36 AM

Default Turkey/Polk Co/Arkansas

How's everyone doing turkey hunting this year? I live up in the Ouchita Mts. here and am calling a few birds up. Seems they will answer only early in the morning and then not one more sound out of them for the rest of the day. Not many hunters out this year here. Before the season I was seeing quite a few nice toms in my food plots---but for the last couple of weeks it's been real quiet. Just wondering if there was any other hunters in this area doing any good. Have a great season all!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 05:58 PM

Default RE: Turkey/Polk Co/Arkansas

Hey, i live in Vicksburg, MS we also are only hearing them gobble early AM. After about 7, they kinda just quit!! There may be one or so that will gobble on up to 8, but for the most part at 7 they shut up!!
Old 04-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

i hunt Dallas county and they have shut up here. heard a turkey on thursday and he was first in 7 days to gobble on our lease, and he only voiced off twice!. i thought it was the fact that they clear-cut 350 acres in the middle of the lease the 2 weeks before and 1st week of the season. [:@] 3 years in a row that they have done that!! i think we must have made the forester mad real reason is all the rain-our lease has lots of high ground and they move in here when it's too wet everywhere else. hopefully, will get another chance or two before the season runs out
Old 04-25-2005, 02:57 PM

Hey knifemaker i hunt ouachita county. the birds are gobbling later in the morning. i killed one opening morning at 8:30 it was pretty dead until 8 am.
yesterday my son missed a good bird at 20 yards never made a sound. while we were watching him come in another bird gobbled once to our west. but never gobbled again. this was around 9 am.

My biggest problem is trespassers i have to get two warrants for two i found parked on our lease. i am tired of playing games with these south arkansas slugs so i am just going to prosecute them.
have you looked into if maybe you have a slug messing with the birds?

i hope you get one in the next two weeks!
Old 04-27-2005, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

soarkrebel-haven't found anyone else on lease this year, but we did get some visitors last year. they pulled up a gate and just drove in. went all around the lease. we couldn't pin down who it was, but they had a rough time of it after the first day. the overseer of the lease put some boards with nails in them down in some of the mud holesthey had to drive out with flat tires!! couldn't have happened to nicer guysguess they got the message-we've beefed up the gates and try to watch the lease a little closer, and so far, it's keeping them out! will get a few more days of hunting in before season closes, so maybe the hens will not be such a hinderance by then. good luck and be safe!!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:50 AM

Knifemakerbill- it's tough to keep your hunting areas unviolated.

I now live several miles from my hunting area so it's not as easy to just show up.
but i have a friend who is a game warden who is trying to keep an eye on it. trespassing is rampant during turkey season in south arkansas. when i look at how much money we pay out i think maybe it's time to push for some new laws to protect our (the hunting clubs) rights on the property that we hunt. i have mixed feelings about maybe a law that would make it a felony the second time your caught trespassing and hunting. and stiffen the fines greatly for joy riders. that might deter some theft.(probably not)

A friend who lives to hunt turkeys said the birds he saw last weekend would even respond to his calls. he watched 5 gobblers feed about 80 yards away and none wanted any of his pleas.
maybe this weekend i can get my son his first . he is still hooked on it but the first bird would really smooth out the catch. may have to set a blind and sit and wait but hey you must do what it takes. i know where they like to feed so maybe.......

good luck !