South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Lack of deer sightings in 2004

Old 01-13-2005, 02:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lack of deer sightings in 2004

Yes , I hunt the Green Swamp.
2003-2004 400 bucks killed
2004-2005 18 bucks killed
Lots of signs and I got one but very discouraging.
A person really has to perfect the various types of calls.

Chuck
Old 01-13-2005, 05:09 AM

Its funny how some yankees PRESUME to know about deer hunting in Alabama!

WHEN EVERY DOE THAT HAS SHOWN ITS HEAD DURING DAYLIGHT HAS BEEN SHOT AT FOR THE LAS 4 YEARS, IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

IF YOU DONT HUNT IN ALABAMA, YOU WOULD NOT UNDERSTAND.

IN MOST PLACES FROM CENTRAL TO SOUTH ALABAMA EVERY LITTLE PLOT OF ACREAGE, NO MATTER HOW SMALL IS LEASED FOR HUNTING.

I do not claim to know anything about yankee deer, but I do know that they behave differently!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:04 PM

oh so were calling names now? just like i said hunting pressure but it still doesnt exclude the fact that deer do most of their moving and feeding at night and thats anywhere not just in your sacred alabama. and this is an information forum where people post their views and their oppinions and in this case facts. so if its an alabama thing i just wouldnt understand then you need to be on alabama hunting net .com. but since im just a yankee i must not be very smart. but it must be your hunting abilities cause from all the articles from your state it shows a problem with over population so ya might want to try a different strategy in the woods. heres just one of the articles proving my point but again im just a yankee what do i know?

Alabama is often considered a case study for what happens when there is an overabundance of wildlife. If not corrected, that overabundance may cause die-offs and diseases in wildlife like we've never before seen. When suburbia encroaches on wildlife habitat, the wildlife then has no place to go. The other problem occurs when you change the nature of the wildlife.

It's a problem that is repeated in many states around the country.

Let's look at some of the problems in Alabama and the potential solutions.

Oak Mountain State Park, a short drive south of Birminham, provides a classic example. The deer herd in this beautiful wilderness area surrounded by suburbia has gotten out of control. In a healthy deer herd, does have two fawns each spring, which doubles the herd.

Wilderness regions surrounded by metropolitan areas are like pastures surrounded by fences. The pasture has a limited ability to produce enough food for only a certain number of cattle inside the pasture. Perhaps a pasture can provide enough food for 50 healthy cows.

However, when you put 100 cows in a 50-cow pasture, they'll lose body weight, become highly susceptible to parasites and disease and get sick. If you put 200 cows in that same pasture, they'll either break the fence or starve to death.

Oak Mountain has a limited amount of food for deer, just like the pasture has a limited amount of food for cattle. The deer herd in Oak Mountain continues to grow unrestricted, because no natural predators control the growth of the herd.

Deer have detrimentally impacted the area around Oak Mountain. They eat flower beds, show up in backyards and collide with automobiles. If the deer herd at Oak Mountain doesn't get reduced drastically and quickly, hikers, campers, bike riders and visitors to the park can expect to see a massive die-off of the deer herd. You can't play with Mother Nature and win.

Nature must have the proper predator/prey balance. Every prey species needs a predator to keep its numbers in check and to prevent overpopulation, parasites and diseases.

Alabama deer once had numerous large predators to keep their numbers in check. Now the number of those predators has decreased greatly. Unless outdoorsmen take action to reduce the number of deer, in not only Oak Mountain State Park, but in many other state parks, the deer herd in those places will experience a die-off.

Alabama's Department of Conservation and Natural Resources doesn't need to wait to develop a plan only after we see hundreds and possibly thousands of the deer in our state parks die off.

Alabama also has a goose problem. Last week when I went to the grocery store, I saw a flock of 18 geese flying overhead. A few weeks ago, a sign at Inverness Parkway warned motorists to slow down because two young goslings already had gotten killed.

Geese aren't native to metropolitan Birmingham. Once again, we've removed most of the natural predators, and the resident goose population in our area has grown dramatically. The geese will eat up lawns and golf courses, defecate on beaches and fly into vehicles. They can become a major nuisance in the state. As far as I know, the state has no plan to remove a good portion of these geese before they become overpopulated and cause serious problems for suburbanites.

The people at P.E.T.A. and the other animal-rights organizations don't want hunters to remove these surplus animals. However, they haven't come up with the money or the plan to capture, move and relocate the surplus of these animals.

Therefore, the responsibility of controlling the overpopulation of deer in state parks and resident geese in metropolitan areas of Alabama falls squarely on the shoulders of the Department of Conservation.

You may not like the solutions the department eventually uses, but if this state agency doesn't act soon, you may have a deer on the hood of your car and geese crashing through the front of your windshield.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:09 PM

lmao@yankee deer thats a good one. man no wonder i shoot alot of nice deer. i never realized that it was becaus we had dumb deer. hell in a few years we may not even need guns. they might just follow us home and jump in the oven. yes deer in different regions do different things but deer still are cautious and nervous and they have to be since they are not on the top of any food chains but hunting pressure is hunting pressure nomatter if its long doe seasons or not. if you want to correct the hunting pressure then why dont you lobby your state for a lottery or reduction in your hunting season. the amount of deer in your state has nothing to do with why your not seeing deer.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:00 PM

You guys are killin me! " the number of deer in my state has no bearing on why I am not seeing deer " THATS THE MOST REDICULOUS THING I HAVE EVER HEARD.

I am sorry if I offended you with the term "Yankee" I am a "redneck" so go figure?

You really have no idea what I am talking about if you are not familiar with the herd in Alabama. I dont say that to insult your intelligence, it's just a fact. Our deer do not die off in the winter due to starvation like they do in northern states. Our deer are MUCH different than the northers deer because of many factors:

1- the terrain in the south- how many snake infested swamps are there in Michigan?

2- our deer are hunted harder and longer than ANY deer in the northern states.

3- we went from a 15 day doe season to a SEASON LONG DOE SEASON in only a matter of 5-6 years.

Things have changed greatly in the last few years, our deer have plenty to eat so the huge doe harvests will do ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD TOWARDS GROWING BIGGER DEER until we limit yearling buck harvest.

I hope this makes more sense now?....
Old 01-13-2005, 08:44 PM

our season is longer then yours. and we dont experience the weather your thinkin of. i do see what your seein but we have the same pressure if not more and a longer season. our regular bow till end of rifle is from september till march if you include the special extended season but the regular season is the beginning of october till january. and there were 213,918 deer killed last year in va during the regular season thats not including the extended season. but i understand what your sayin and yankee,rebel it dont matter we are all bonded by the deer we chase.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:18 PM

Hey va head hunter uhhhh doe the va stand for virginia??
Old 01-14-2005, 04:10 PM

YES
Old 01-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

hey boys I hunted with Chris this year. And a finer piece of property I've never been on til then. Lack of deer happens every year as it starts to get colder. at least it does around here. I hear this complaint every year.
I will promise one thing if you jump one, there will be 15 more with him. I currently, guessing from the tracks I have about 5 a nite coming thru my front yard. They will be holed up and if you dont get mud on your knees from crawlin" thru the Bull$#!+ you'll have a hard time findin them

There's still plenty of deer.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:59 PM

brad
i look forward to huntin with ya next year as well

Quick Reply: Lack of deer sightings in 2004

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.