Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Lack of deer sightings in 2004 >

Lack of deer sightings in 2004

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Lack of deer sightings in 2004

Old 12-31-2004, 09:10 AM

Default RE: Lack of deer sightings in 2004

well colins luck was with him again yesterday also. he was able to get 2 does in the same spot as the other doe and his buck. but at a small price. the scope on his gun jumped up on the shot and taged him in the head so bad he needed stitches and has a concusion. thats what happens when you dont hold onto the gun very good. oh well but anyway another thing that was not really in everyones favor was the lunar table which really sucked this year but like i said i had to go in the thickets after the deer this year but still saw alot.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:25 AM
Spike

As far as daylight to dark in south east Georgia I've seen only one buck and three does. I've hunted three to six times a week all season. There are plenty of sign telling me the deer are moving at night. I wish the deer would change their pattern and move in the morning or late afternoon. Seems there was an abundance of acorns this year and it never got or stayed cold very long. Been a slow season around here for sure.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:37 PM

when the morning and evening hunting is not good and you think they are only moving at night dont forget about the hours inbetween the mornings and evenings. they will move during the day as well. at least i have found that here in va. especially when the weather gets crazy.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:38 PM

I think the season long doe days may be part of our problem. AL went to it about three or four years ago. I think this has forced the does into an exclusive nightime feeding mode.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:59 PM

too many does can also be why your not seeing as many bucks cause if the bucks have too many does they dont need to chase during the rut and they can stay right in the thickets and breed all day long. we have a season long doe day in fauqier county va where my farm is and im glad they do cause it allows the does to be harvested. i just wish they would allow more does to be taken.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:17 PM

Im from texas and we have seen the normal amount if not more deer this year.I dont know what to tell you.Just keep on hunting and that big boy will step out.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

i didn't see much in ga. this year and i believe this is the trend of the future here in ga. too many doe days and too many tags if you can call them tags.i've been bowhunting in illinois the last few years and every deer killed there has to be tagged and checked out they seem to care about their deer also if they say theres been 150,000 deer taken you can count on it.here in ga. they just pull a # out of a hat and every year they tell us that we have too many deer.and every year we see less.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:04 PM

I also believe a loss of natural habitat is hurting some deer populations.There are new sub divisions everywhere here in south Carolina now.There is alot of road kill in North and South Carolina.Last year in South Carolina five poeple were killed in vehicle collisions with deer.Where I currently hunt there is not much development,but some of the property nearby is for sale.It could be only a matter of time where I currently could be developed someday.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:18 PM

Scooba81, I could not aggree more. The long doe seasons are taking their toll. I can only hope that the dcnr really knows what they are doing....they are messing with the future of alot of deer hunters in our state!
Old 01-12-2005, 07:27 PM

deer do most of their feeding at night anyways so how does doe days dictate that? the reson counties or states do season long doe days is because through their studies they feel the need to have more does harvested for the better of the population. furthermore your still going to have the same amount of hunting pressure during season if its doe days or not. now i could understand if the does are telling eachother to only come out at night cause they are afraid to get shot but deer do most of their movement as far as feeding go at night. here in va only certain counties have seasonlong doe days and my county is one of them and i saw more deer this year then along time even with the bad lunar table and crazy up and down weather. hunting pressure is the biggest factor in not seeing alot of deer unless your just hunting an area that doesnt hold alot of deer.

Quick Reply: Lack of deer sightings in 2004

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.