Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Hunt Hogs on public land in VA? >

Hunt Hogs on public land in VA?

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunt Hogs on public land in VA?

Old 08-23-2002, 08:34 AM

Default Hunt Hogs on public land in VA?

Is there anywhere that I would have a chance of finding a hog on public land in Virginia? I dont have access to any private hunting land, but was wanting to try hog hunting.

Any ideas?

Chubber
Old 08-23-2002, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunt Hogs on public land in VA?

I think that down around the Dismal Swamp areas of Va there is some that are allowed to be hunted, Maybe even some in the south western yip of Va also. If not ,just go into NC over to the western side of the sate, there is alot of Tn. Tuskers that have taken over Tn and NC. I cant imagine that it would cost very much to hunt them. Most stetes I think don't really want them there, they have completely destroyed entire eco-systems.~Ben

Hunting ; an act of love for nature guided by the strongest spiritual forces.
http://www.adventuresoutdoors.freehomepage.com/
Old 08-23-2002, 11:01 AM

Do you know if there are any WMA's or the name of other state or national forests that allow hunting there? I am trying to read up on them so I can set up a trip.

Chubber

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I think that down around the Dismal Swamp areas of Va there is some that are allowed to be hunted, Maybe even some in the south western yip of Va also. If not ,just go into NC over to the western side of the sate, there is alot of Tn. Tuskers that have taken over Tn and NC. I cant imagine that it would cost very much to hunt them. Most stetes I think don't really want them there, they have completely destroyed entire eco-systems.~Ben

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 08-23-2002, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

I am going in Sept to NC to hunt them, but there is a cost with this hunt. I am going to Ga. in Feb of the new year to hunt wild feral hogs. thats a real cheap hunt. I may go back to NC in Nov also. If you wanted to pay for a hunt you could go too, I dont know your financial situation is but if you can afford it it would be fun. I believe that the one around the Dismal swamp in Va is called just that ; The Dismal Swamp WMA or maybe check the Back Bay WMA.

I am not sure how much luck you'll have for hogs in Va though.

Old 09-11-2002, 10:42 PM
Typical Buck

Ben,
I'm i the Southwest tip and there are no hogs here.

You might try some of the pay to hunt places in Tenn.

SF

Old 09-30-2002, 12:01 AM

Try Back Bay NWR, they have an annual lotto draw for managed pig hunts. It's probably too late to apply now, but they also accept a few stand-by hunters. Just be there during one of the lotto draws. look up the VA Dept of game and Inland fisheries for more info.

good luck,
caldwell
Old 10-02-2002, 01:31 PM

Not much hog hunting in Virginia. The only place is, as the other have said, in the Back Bay. You have to submit an application to hunt by the bigining of Sept. to get a chance to hunt their. The Hunts are most always the first couple of weeks in Oct.
http://backbay.fws.gov/hunting.htm

Old 10-02-2002, 09:02 PM

Good tip. Thanks a lot. I will check into it for next year. Too busy now getting my muzzleloader dialed in.

Chubber

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Not much hog hunting in Virginia. The only place is, as the other have said, in the Back Bay. You have to submit an application to hunt by the bigining of Sept. to get a chance to hunt their. The Hunts are most always the first couple of weeks in Oct.
http://backbay.fws.gov/hunting.htm

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>