Oklahoma Hunters.... >

Oklahoma Hunters....

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Oklahoma Hunters....

Old 12-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Oklahoma Hunters....

I hate going into a check station and seeing the pictures on the wall of these little spiked, forked-horn, little 6 pts. ect. It's like most Oklahoma hunters don't care to take a trophy they just shoot the 1st buck they see. The average deer killed in Oklahoma is a 1 1/2 year old. I think that is crap. Thats why Oklahoma doesn't have many record book deer killed. Yea there is some big deer killed here but just think how much bigger they would be and there would be more. I know people just want some meat in the freezer but why not just shoot a doe. just a thought. What is yals opinion.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:10 PM

Default RE: Oklahoma Hunters....

I couldn't agree more. Our camp imposes an 8 pt or better rule which has helped with the herd over the last few years. We take all the legal does we need for the meat and wait for more mature bucks to fill the bragging pole. NW OK has way too many does and way too few big bucks because of the attitude you mentioned. We counted over 100 does on a field earlier in the season with only 3 bucks in the mix. That's way out of porportion. Too many guys shoot the first thing they see with horns not thinking of the bigger picture. It's hard to legislate, but I would support a point limit perhaps with an exception for taking genetically mal-formed racks.
Griz
Old 12-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Hey griz glad someone else see's it the same way I do. I would love to have an 8 pt or better rule for a couple of years across the whole state. It would give the deer more time to grow and get those 1 and gun hunters off of those little deer. I can see someone shooting one for management purposes. Like one that is not gonna get any bigger or his rack is deformed, but that is it.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:17 PM

I agree. I wish people would let the little ones go. This buddy of mine who claimed to be "holding out for a big one" used both his bow buck tags on these little s#!t deer and then tried to justify it by saying he was "culling the bad bucks" and how they were "older deer goin down hill" when i could tell that they were only year old bucks. I know for a fact that he just got antsy and shot the first thing with antlers that walked by. I think they need to put some sort of antler restrictions on deer in Oklahoma. But, then again there will be a bunch of others that will disagree.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:43 PM

Hello fellow oklahoma hunters. how was everones deer season? I agree if it's not at least an 8pt buck or a doe let it walk and injoy the experiance of watching it in the wild. yes it is nice to have a freezer full of deer but that is not the only reason i hunt. Well i think i am going to do some coyote hunting a family friend is having problems with them they are so thick they are attacking his dogs on the porch. should be a easy hunt.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:38 PM

I'm with you-let the little ones grow up to be big ones-rather have an empty freezer for a few years for a chance at a nice animal once in a while.