OKlahoma hunters >

OKlahoma hunters

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

OKlahoma hunters

Old 10-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default OKlahoma hunters

Just wandering if anyone in Oklahoma has had any success yet? I, myself, have passed on a couple small bucks and haven't had a chance at a doe yet. I do have a buddy that shot a real nice deer on opening morning that has a lot of character and 14 points. It grossed 159" B&C and netted 150" B&C . What is real amazing about this deer, is he is only 13" inside with 3 tines over 12 inches.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: OKlahoma hunters

MILLERTIME just down the road from ya in Duncan. Recovering from surgery and hadn't got to draw my bow since Sept. 10 right before surgery. Doc says probably by muzzle loader season. I have a lot of catching up to do. Have spent a lot of time in my stands looking. Deer are really tied up in oak groves foraging on acorns. Heck of a crop down here,very little sign on my food plots. I've seen a lot of does and young bucks traveling to water late in the day. Glassed a shooter 8 pt. saturday morning at 100 yards. he should still be around when I get healed up. Several of my buddies have been seeing good numbers of deers but no one has taken one as of yesterday. Keep me posted on your luck.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Typical Buck

Had a good afternoon of hunting.
I got set up early today b/c it rained all morning. I figured the critters would be moving after being laid up all morning. I was sitting in a funnel area where deer cross a fence to go to an alfalfa field.
First thing I saw was a bobcat coming down a trail about 100 yards in front of me. I started to make a squeaking noise with my lips and he worked his way within 25 yards of my groundblind before he took off. He gave me plenty of shot opportunities, but the bobcat season has not started yet here in Oklahoma. It was an awesome experience, it's not everyday you get to come so close to a wild bobcat in braod daylight.
Next, I spotted a young basket 6 and a spike working a ridge about 125 yards to my north. They worked in and out of a tree line and finally disappeared in the trees.
Ten minutes later a coyote walks out in the alfalfa field about 200 yards from me and I began to do my little squeaking noise again. It didn't take him long to come full go towards my direction. When he was fully committed to my location I drew and waited for a good shot. I waited and waited and waited for him to stop. He never did, he came ten yards from my blind and caught my wind and whirled around and took off as quick as he came in, giving no shot opprtunity.
Just after I had calmed down from that experience I looked up and saw a small buck and 2 does walk out on the field about 100 yards from me. While I was watching them, the small basket 6 and spike worked their way towards me. They walked 12 yards from my blind and never knew I was there. By this time it was about dark and time to go to the truck. When I was about 40 yards from the gate of my property a 100" to 110" young 8 point runs right in front of my truck, almost hit him.
These are the kind of nights are the ones that I love. It really doesn't bother me if I shoot anything or not, it is just all the experiences and being out there. It was just a good night of hunting. Figured I would share it with you guys.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:29 PM

Not much luck yet. Been using my recurve. Only had one shot so far and it was a button buck. I let him walk. I'm in the Tulsa area. Good luck ya'l.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

It has been a while since I have a taken a deer with my bow, a little over three years in fact. There have been a few close encounters, have passed several deer and some misses during that time period. The drought finally came to an end yesterday afternoon, on one of the shortest hunts I have ever been on. It was raining steady all day long until about 2 yours before sundown. I decided to go hunt, figuring they would start moving since the rain subcided for a little bit. I was in a hurry and not really well prepared, so I decided to just sit on the ground just beneath a tree that had brush around it. I have seen deer in this area before, they cross the fence where I was sitting to go to an alfalfa field. I just barely got set down and I look up, here comes a doe right for me. She crosses the fence about 80 yds. down the fence line and heads directly towards me at pretty fast pace. I came to full draw as soon as she crossed the fence, remember I was on the ground with a little brush in front of me and that's it. So, she came 20 yds. from me and stopped quartering to me a little. I put the pin on her and let her fly. The shot was less than ideal, but I still got 1 lung and liver. She went 80 yards and expired. It feels good to be back in the game. That was the first deer I have shot off the ground with my bow, so it was a different experience but I enjoyed it. I took pics with a new camera so I may not get them developed until the end of season or when it is all used up. When I get them developed I will be sure to post. Thanks for listening to my rambling.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Good job MILLER will be waiting for the pics. Went saturday afternoon just to sit and see what might be stirring, still can't hunt because of surgery but boy can I scout. Started to come a light rain about 3:00 set back in an old ground blind I built 2 or 3 years ago above my food plot. It was well worth getting a little damp. About 30 minutes after the rain began had 5 does in one group come in and start eating on turnips about 20 minutes later had 3 more does come in from behind me didn't notice them until they were standing about 10 yds. from the blind, talk about drive ya crazy. Great shots if I had a bow to draw. They finally slipped in with the other does and started on the turnips. About 6:00 a nice young 8 pt. came in and mingled for a while, couple of years he will be a shooter if the neighbors don't get him. Slipped out the back of blind to hike back to my truck. Got down to the creek crossing, I wasn't paying attention, and busted 2 more young bucks coming to the food plot. Man it was great to see that much activity. Couple more weeks and should be able to hunt for real. Keep posting I enjoy the stories, keeps the adrenalin pumping.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your doe!! I haven't had much time to spend in the woods just yet, but I've got a 3 day weekend coming up and I'm gonna spend all my time in the woods. Good luck to the rest of ya.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:09 PM

Took a 7 point on openin day, then had an 8 and 4 does come through but nothin really worth shootin. Then saw an 11 point with the right side perfect(had 5 points) but the left side had 3 seperate antlers that went straight up, with a bunch of kickers on the middle one, but i havnt had a shot at him yet. Other than that, a buddy shot a doe. Im thinkin the weather is going to have to deer movin really good all year long.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:47 AM

How are you planning on shooting two antlered deer in the same bow season?
Old 10-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

hickman the archery limit in Oklahoma is 4 deer of which 2 can be antlered. We sport a good deer herd here. Can do a lot of serious hunting and take a lot of venison.

Quick Reply: OKlahoma hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.