Austin TX Hunting >

Austin TX Hunting

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Austin TX Hunting

Old 11-04-2004, 12:09 PM
Spike

Default Austin TX Hunting

How is the hunting in and around the Austin area. What is the price range for a decent lease in the area. I figure there is lots of deer, hogs, and turkey any info would be great. Thanks
Old 11-04-2004, 11:25 PM

Default RE: Austin TX Hunting

Well I am on a lease about 10 miles south or dripping springs. hour drive from north austin. I believe I
pay around 1200$ and there are 8 guys on 500 acers.

Deer are small and overpopulater. Great meat hunt place. Tons of turkey. no hogs. But it's real nice land and the
area really needs the does hunted out. My lease if full. I hear finding an open lease is the real trick in this area.

Open in Saturday morning and I will be out there ready to harvest some meat. Got nothing bowhunting this year
but rifle season is a breeze!
Old 11-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Spike

thanks austinbrian,
do you guys pretty much get the run of the place. what i mean do you get to go out and scout and look around when you want. do you also get to turkey hunt?
Old 11-05-2004, 03:56 PM

We get preaty much free reign. We can hunt turkey, deer, dove, rabit and hog's if we ever saw one. But it's year round all access and we can bring guests. But I know this is a rare deal out there and it's only because we know the landowner thru a friend of a frined that we get such le-way out there.

It's nice and all but honestly I would like to find another less crowded lease sometime in the next couple seasons. I liek the area but after hunting it for the last 4 years it's kinda getting old and not much of a challange anymore since we know ever last nook and crany on the place.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:41 PM

I hunt 100 miles west of Austin. . .same deal a friend owns 300 acres, $1400 a year. The bonus is I also get to bring my 2 sons. I also put lots of sweat into this place year around to help the owner and friend with whatever we feel like doing. While we have only seen a couple of turkeys in the past 3 years we have lots of Deer and Hogs. Doves and Yotes are a nice bonus. One guest even got a shot of a mountain lion last fall. That's his story at least, probably a feral house kitty.

Last season we took 3 bucks 4 does and 10 hogs. Good news is that hog season is anytime you see one.