Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Wanting to get into hunting... any advice? >

Wanting to get into hunting... any advice?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Wanting to get into hunting... any advice?

Old 02-05-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Wanting to get into hunting... any advice?

Hey everyone, I am new here and I am still trying to figure this whole thing out... here goes... I live in Florida and none of my family has ever hunted. I have fished avidly my whole life, and have rescently wanted to get into hunting. Does anyone have any advice on how to get into it? Or where? Thanks for the help...
Old 02-05-2004, 06:59 PM

Default RE: Wanting to get into hunting... any advice?

Get a gun, doesnt have to be a good one cause you dont know if you like it. Find some state game lands, free hunting until you get into it then you can lease.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:35 PM

Thanks Buckslayer. I am getting a Browning Gold Hunter Automatic shotgun within the next month or so. I would like to get a rifle as well. This should get me started and then I will get a rifle if I like it. Thanks again...
Old 02-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Typical Buck

How much experience do you have with firearms? Do you know anyone who hunts? Do you have camo, etc?

If you have never taken a Hunters Ed course, I would recommend going to one. There is a lot of good info offered in these courses and you may be able to meet some folks that wouldn't mind taking you under their wing and may even get access to some land or ideas of areas to hunt from them. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the advice. I do have firearms experience. I shoot skeet, plink, and shoot handguns. Also, I have to take the hunting ed course anyways before I can get my licence in Florida bec. I am only 22. Thanks again...
Old 02-07-2004, 01:25 PM

Once u get a gun, you should try to find a hunting buddy that is somewhat experienced, because it's kinda hard to just walk out into the woods and just wing it. I would start out hunting on public land, cuz like buckslayer said, its free. Then once you get into it you can look around for a good place to lease. I don't know what part of Florida you live in but here in central florida there are a ton of hunting leases. I hunt on one of the leases owned by the Mormons, its 20,000 acres and it really is great hunting. They own several hundred thousand acres, so if you live anywhere near central florida, any of the hunting leases on the morman ranch are good spots to go when you're ready to get off of the public land. Good luck!