Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Lessons learned...please feel free to add. >

Lessons learned...please feel free to add.

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Lessons learned...please feel free to add.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

#14 on Flags post = a winner.

I'd also suggest you learn how to process your own game. That way you know / get exactly what you want... and the hunting experience feels more complete (field to table).
Old 11-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Dominant Buck

And I've eatten some of Bug's processed game...from a 1-10 ten being the best ..it's a 25 i have no idea how his wife does it..but it's the best out there.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Spike

Hot Hands: If you use them open em up and shake em before you get to where your going so they are nice and hot when you get to your hunting spot
Bow Release: I carry an extra bow release in my fanny pack just in case I drop one once up in my stand
Scent Bombs: If your using a climber, place your bombs around your stand just before you go up the tree, not before setting up your treestand, never know when that buck might get a whiff and come a running while your making all that noise
Cold: If your gonna be hunting in cold weather get something in your stomach preferably something in high calories to help your body keep you warm
Practice: Use actual broadheads when practicing
Kiss Some Butt: Send your wife some flowers on opening day and tell her how much you love her, might get more hunting time in............geo
Old 11-27-2013, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir..i carry an extra release as well...my wife loves it when i hunt..she enjoys the quiet ..instead of water i carry a small gatoraid..those bottles don't make the noise that a typical water bottle does and the hole makes it easier to pee in..(-; when sitting in the stand.

I always bring a New Testament to read when sitting...i read 10 verses and scan the woods etc. etc. this is the only way i have seen deer...possible reasons...keeps me very still, builds my faith....my last hunt..i scanned and scanned...then decided to read...i was set up on the edge of a palmetto field between 2 bayheads..the field was 700 steps long...about 600 yds. I just read John 2 and slowly glanced to my left...i saw 2 deer making their way in front of me about 30 yds away..plenty of time to shoulder my 270...too bad they were does....but i heard a few ..most likely bucks sneaking through a bayhead...Next time I'll be in the bayhead..found a nice tree that gives me a shot the entire width of the head.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Spike

Great tips and I cant think of much to add except this. Never trust anything that requires batteries and plan to spend the night. These two rules aren’t as important as they were before cell phones and LED flashlights but if you spend enough time in the woods you will learn these two the hard way sooner or later. At the very least when I go in the woods I have a little pouch that goes on my belt with a multi tool, flash light wrapped in duct tape, steel match, 2 iodine tabs, 2 extra strength Tylenol, 2 bug repellant pads and a plastic whistle with a compass.

As far as my tip, buy a roll of camo duct tape and wrap your water bottle with some. You will be surprised just how often that it comes in handy.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Chuck,
If you sight in a .270 with a medium height scope mount dead center at 25 yards, you will find that it will be about 3 inches high at 100 yards.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

1.) Always wear gloves when hunting, the movement of hands has scared many an animal and keeping the color of the gloves close to natural will help with that.

2.) Wear your hunting clothes and boots only while hunting. That stop at the gas station for a quick fill-up and a hot cup of coffee or burrito may ruin your hunt by adding odd scents to your clothes.

3.) Use the wind when possible to pick a good spot, but do not forget where the sun will rise and set. Many a hunt has been ruined around SR & SS by picking a spot to sit that's facing a bright rising or setting sun.

4.) When utilizing a ground set-up, be sure to clear a spot free of leaves & debris big enough to allow some movement when game finally shows.

5.) If you've scouted a good location with good, fresh sign, DON'T give up if game doesn't show in the first hour. Stick it out as "good things come......"

6.) Be the "bigger" man when you find someone already in your chosen spot (on public ground). Getting into a pi$$ing match is a sure way to ruin what had started out as an enjoyable day in the woods.

7.) Always be ready when on stand. Hanging, rather then holding your rifle or bow may well cost you a chance at a keeper.

8.) Go over constantly in your mind where you might shoot any deer you see. By practicing this thought process on the "undesirables" you see while on stand, you will always be ready when you get an oddball angle on a keeper.

9.) Conversely, do NOT waste excessive time watching a doe and fawn interact as Mr Buck may well be sliding down the trail some ways back.

10.) Sometimes it pays to not take that marginal shot, no matter what the deer might be. Picture below shows the buck my Buddy got on day #2 of our M/L season, after passing on an iffy opportunity on the same buck the afternoon of day #1.

11.) When the time comes to put bullet to hide, pick a particular spot on that deer, know exactly where you are going to aim and do it!

12.) Before you begin to follow up on that hit buck that has run off, be sure to go over the scenario in your mind, find the spots where he was when you shot and when you lost sight of him. Use your rangefinder to range that tree he passed just in front of just before you shot. Lots of trees look alike in those woods. Know how I know that??

13.) Have something in your pockets or pack to use to mark the blood trail as you follow up.

14.) Your rifle is not "final" sighted until you allow it to fully cool off and then fire one lone, last round, seeing where that POI is with a dirty cold barrel; just as it will be when you shoot your buck!

15.) Lastly, it's fine to be excited when you finally walk up on your trophy, but always be sure your deer (or whatever) is totally spent before latching on. A buddy had an episode of "dancing" with a small buck a few years back and I came close to touching what looked to be a huge dead boar, myself, before I thought better and finally ended up shooting it yet again as he tried to get up and get his revenge on me after I tossed a stick from a few feet away and hit him instead.
Attached Thumbnails Lessons learned...please feel free to add.-e_turner_details3.jpg  
Old 01-16-2014, 03:43 AM
Spike

I'm fairly new to hunting, but I've spent a bunch of time backpacking and generally being in the woods.

1. Always have a map and compass when you are on unfamiliar land (and it's good even if you know it well). And know how to use them.

2. Gatorade bottles are stronger and quieter than the bottles of water sold in gas stations, and lighter and cheaper than Nalgene or army canteens. For best results, keep a clean Gatorade bottle that you fill with water at home, since there is too much potasium and sodium in Gatorade if you aren't active and sweating. (And even then, it's still a bit much! Alternate one Gatorade with two waters.) If you hate the taste of water, mix something in it.

3. Pack light. You're already carrying a gun and ammo, plus other hunting-specific gear. Make sure your pack is light and your knees will be much happier. Aim for total weight of less than 1/5 of your body weight, or less than 20 lbs., whichever is lighter.

4. A pound on the foot is worth five on the back. If your shoes weigh two pounds each, it is the same as going barefoot and carrying twenty pounds on your back. It is especially true for people with longer strides.

5. Take care of your feet, and they will take care of you. Wear wool socks that absorb odor, wick away moisture, and keep your feet warm even when wet. Treat blisters immediately. Make sure your shoes or boots fit well and aren't too stiff or heavy. Opening day is a terrible time to break in a new pair of shoes or boots.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Always pack an extra layer.

A small thermos with something hot (buillion) in your pack if it's cold can save the day

Tnhunter444 said carry something to mark the blood trail (#14) - I carry an extra ziplock back of toilet paper for this (note, I said "an extra bag") - white TP stands out in the woods if you're marking the trail, and is quickly biodegradable. I know some guys who use surveyor's tape (neon plastic tape) and it's highly visable, but anything that you don't pick back up stays in the woods for a long time.

I take a cheap stylus (you can buy one at the office supply store for only a couple of bucks) and attach it to some paracord so that I can text my hunting buddies without taking my gloves off. We don't text often, but sometimes it's good to let them know something is coming their way.