HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lessons learned...please feel free to add.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Tnhunter444
Fork Horn

1.) Always wear gloves when hunting, the movement of hands has scared many an animal and keeping the color of the gloves close to natural will help with that.

2.) Wear your hunting clothes and boots only while hunting. That stop at the gas station for a quick fill-up and a hot cup of coffee or burrito may ruin your hunt by adding odd scents to your clothes.

3.) Use the wind when possible to pick a good spot, but do not forget where the sun will rise and set. Many a hunt has been ruined around SR & SS by picking a spot to sit that's facing a bright rising or setting sun.

4.) When utilizing a ground set-up, be sure to clear a spot free of leaves & debris big enough to allow some movement when game finally shows.

5.) If you've scouted a good location with good, fresh sign, DON'T give up if game doesn't show in the first hour. Stick it out as "good things come......"

6.) Be the "bigger" man when you find someone already in your chosen spot (on public ground). Getting into a pi$$ing match is a sure way to ruin what had started out as an enjoyable day in the woods.

7.) Always be ready when on stand. Hanging, rather then holding your rifle or bow may well cost you a chance at a keeper.

8.) Go over constantly in your mind where you might shoot any deer you see. By practicing this thought process on the "undesirables" you see while on stand, you will always be ready when you get an oddball angle on a keeper.

9.) Conversely, do NOT waste excessive time watching a doe and fawn interact as Mr Buck may well be sliding down the trail some ways back.

10.) Sometimes it pays to not take that marginal shot, no matter what the deer might be. Picture below shows the buck my Buddy got on day #2 of our M/L season, after passing on an iffy opportunity on the same buck the afternoon of day #1.

11.) When the time comes to put bullet to hide, pick a particular spot on that deer, know exactly where you are going to aim and do it!

12.) Before you begin to follow up on that hit buck that has run off, be sure to go over the scenario in your mind, find the spots where he was when you shot and when you lost sight of him. Use your rangefinder to range that tree he passed just in front of just before you shot. Lots of trees look alike in those woods. Know how I know that??

13.) Have something in your pockets or pack to use to mark the blood trail as you follow up.

14.) Your rifle is not "final" sighted until you allow it to fully cool off and then fire one lone, last round, seeing where that POI is with a dirty cold barrel; just as it will be when you shoot your buck!

15.) Lastly, it's fine to be excited when you finally walk up on your trophy, but always be sure your deer (or whatever) is totally spent before latching on. A buddy had an episode of "dancing" with a small buck a few years back and I came close to touching what looked to be a huge dead boar, myself, before I thought better and finally ended up shooting it yet again as he tried to get up and get his revenge on me after I tossed a stick from a few feet away and hit him instead.
Attached Images