Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 11-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by usmc556mm
Was out in Bull Barn Grade last two days... Slightly disappointed at the number of reported pulls... Is it always that small? Had a blast though! Don't know if the boss will let me disappear for the last day of my quota. Although she did enjoy my waist deep in the swamp story...

Stopped to talk to the family of the guy who fell out of the tree on Sunday. Mom? Says the guy wasn't wearing a harness... I'm sure that I'm preaching to the choir here; safety gear use it! Took the EMTs quite awhile to hike in and extract that hunter. Thankfully he was stabilized and no life threatening injuries.

Field report: Plenty of fresh droppings and tracks... Observed ZERO deer directly LOL, thems the breaks. Hog sign again aplenty but zero direct observations.

Best of luck folks. First time for me in the swamp and I went DEEP as I could cutting it close if not late to beat first light. GPS tracked me to 1.4 miles in, I'm guessing I need to go deeper.
Glad to hear the guy is ok...Bull Barn is a good area to start...good amount of game up that way...lotta people hunt that area so the game keeps on the move...oughta see somethin up there
Old 11-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Spike

Hey Folks - I am new to this forum and joined because in reading through some of the posts was really impressed by everyone's knowlege of hunting in GS. I have pulled alot of hogs out of GS east over the years but only a couple of bucks. Usually do most of my deer hunting up in Virginia but not making it up there this year and wanted to concentrate more on deer this season. In the past, I usually hunted the pine blocks but am Wanting to try working in closer to Bayheads by posting near well worked trails.

The main issue I see is getting in close without making too much noise while cutting through palmetto flats. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Watachi
Hey Folks - I am new to this forum and joined because in reading through some of the posts was really impressed by everyone's knowlege of hunting in GS. I have pulled alot of hogs out of GS east over the years but only a couple of bucks. Usually do most of my deer hunting up in Virginia but not making it up there this year and wanted to concentrate more on deer this season. In the past, I usually hunted the pine blocks but am Wanting to try working in closer to Bayheads by posting near well worked trails.

The main issue I see is getting in close without making too much noise while cutting through palmetto flats. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.
hey welcome to the forum, one thing about green swamp that hasnt changed is the deer huntin is tough...if you hunt the "beat down trails" give them some breathin space...i believe this is where a lotta people mess up is by sittin right over the game trails...problem with this if ya wrk the spot a lot at some point ya will leave scent behind and if therevare any good bucks thete they will either vacate the area or go nocturnal...
Old 11-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Absolutely...just heard that same advice yesterday ...
Old 11-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

To Watachi,
Rubber boots will help hide the scent..study Google and try to find the. Best entrance to your stand that won't spook your deer...you said that you have already shot hogs and a couple of bucks..if that's the case you don't need any advice lol you should be the one giving the advice...to get a deer out og the GS is quite a feat in itself.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Spike

Hey all, first time post on here.

Me and two of my buddies went out Monday/Tuesday, it was our first time hunting a WMA, we did plenty of scouting and found the spots we would set up. I ended up taking a bad shot on a real nice hog on Monday at about 1700 hrs. I guess those first time hunter nerves bested me on this day. I heard them in the distance and suddenly there were 2 of them that came straight at my 3 o'clock out of a cypress head while I was sitting in my blind. They quickly turned heading straight behind me, by the time I got set they were almost directly behind me so I took a rushed shot in a bad position and they were gone. My back was covered by palmettos so it was either take that shot or probably not seen them again since there was only about 20 minutes of hunting left. The entire day there was 1 hog taken at the 471 station according to the board.

Tuesday was just awful, we woke up at about 0430 to rain and decided to heck with it why not give it a shot. We headed out in the pitch black and it opened up on us. We were walking slow but apparently not slow enough because I ended stepping straight on top of a mother of a water moccasin, I am still counting my blessing today as to why she didn't take a snap at me. By the time we got back out to our spots it was still raining so we just called it a day early. I am planning on venturing back out for a daily quota in a week or two. Seeing that hog on the first day gave me some hope just so long the conditions stay good.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:05 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the advice guys! I am thinking 25+ yards off trails? I have to admit that I most frequently slip hunt as it is the type of hunting I most enjoy and shimmed down a few pine trees in the early days of tree stands back in my teens - and hearing about the poor soul who fell out of his stand a couple of days ago doesnt help. Hope he is OK!

I usually try to get in deep away from others (if possible) and slip from spot to spot. Usually walk 5-6 miles over the day. Used to be really successful for hogs up til about 4 years ago - before all the trapping. As long as you move slow, quietly, and into the wind you can usually walk right up to hogs. A 22-250 53 grain TSX to the head/neck will drop em without any squealing and you can usually get a second.

I have a nice Summitt climber which I am planning on toting out next weekend. Just starting a new job so am relegated to only weekends - glad about the job but will miss being out in the woods on week days. Have ya'll had problems with people stealing stands (with cable lock on)?

Chuck7 - just wanted to thank you for posting your Testimony. I really enjoyed it (as did alot of other people from the postings I saw) and love to see good Christians putting themselves out there in God's service

When have ya'll seen the most rutting activity in GS? In my experience I have seen the most scrapes and bucks with does in late Dec early Jan. Seems to depend alot more on weather than moon down here compared to up north.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving
Old 11-29-2013, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Watachi
Thanks for all the advice guys! I am thinking 25+ yards off trails? I have to admit that I most frequently slip hunt as it is the type of hunting I most enjoy and shimmed down a few pine trees in the early days of tree stands back in my teens - and hearing about the poor soul who fell out of his stand a couple of days ago doesnt help. Hope he is OK!

I usually try to get in deep away from others (if possible) and slip from spot to spot. Usually walk 5-6 miles over the day. Used to be really successful for hogs up til about 4 years ago - before all the trapping. As long as you move slow, quietly, and into the wind you can usually walk right up to hogs. A 22-250 53 grain TSX to the head/neck will drop em without any squealing and you can usually get a second.

I have a nice Summitt climber which I am planning on toting out next weekend. Just starting a new job so am relegated to only weekends - glad about the job but will miss being out in the woods on week days. Have ya'll had problems with people stealing stands (with cable lock on)?

Chuck7 - just wanted to thank you for posting your Testimony. I really enjoyed it (as did alot of other people from the postings I saw) and love to see good Christians putting themselves out there in God's service

When have ya'll seen the most rutting activity in GS? In my experience I have seen the most scrapes and bucks with does in late Dec early Jan. Seems to depend alot more on weather than moon down here compared to up north.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving
25 yards or so should be good...as for rutting activity I have come to notice over the past few years that in the northern part of green swamp the bucks start showin sign earlier than the rest of the area, so its my belief that the rut begins earlier in the northern part of the area as where the rest of the area is more a dec.-march pattern. last year durin the small game season I seen more buck sign than durin the deer season...its hard to say for sure because every year its different
Old 11-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Hopefully this weekend there will be more deer movement with this cooler weather, cant wait to get back out there
Old 12-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

Spent 16 hours up in the tree this weekend...seen nothin Saturday, Sunday did get to lay eyes on a nice buck as he booked it from one bayhead to another in the fog, movin too fast and too far to take a shot...purty sure the wind spooked him...good to know theres a nice one around anyway...471 side check station is at 11 deer and i believe 14 hogs so far...anybody seein any buck sign showin yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.