Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
How 'bout it Va? What you all seeing out there? >

How 'bout it Va? What you all seeing out there?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

How 'bout it Va? What you all seeing out there?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

This is for the Quantico Hunter's just general info I got from BikeMan Steve Mercer missed a Pope and Young buck on a lone oak that was raining acorns someone from Quantico also shot a buck that was 16" wide today that's all the info that I got.

I have trail cameras out but have not done any hunting later in the week there calling for high 60's low 40's the big deer will get up and move defiantly I saw my first big buck last year and shot him right the week of Oct 20th
Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

I agree, the big boys will be up and moving the week of 10/20. I am going to sit tonight just because the small temp change from 83 yesterday to 70 today. There is also a low pressure system bringing rain in tonight. I think there might be a good chance tonight if you around the acorns. Good Luck
Old 10-11-2011, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

King and Queen here and I got nothing. Jumped a doe up walking to my stand opening day in the afternoon. Other than that, tree rats, 2 turkeys, and 1 raccoon.
Lots of trees down and limbs from Irene, must of knocked all the acorns down also as nothing is falling.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Spike

The acorns on the farm I hunt have been poor to this point. I see some red oak acorns but not alot of white oaks. Hopefully some colder air may come in and get the white oaks to drop. Have seen some does but no bucks to this point!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

I have been out three times so far this year, all in Clifton. First sit saw (Urban Season) saw 8 deer including an 8 pointer and 6 pointer but nothing closer than 40 yds. Second sit was opening day of archery season and was in the stand 15 minutes and shot a doe. Saw one more after her but didn't shoot her because I had to get the first one to the processer and get to work. Third sit was on Columbus Day, afternoon hunt, and saw 11 deer. Had an ear wide 5 pointer come in at 35 yds but couldn't get a good shot angle. Still don't know if I would have shot but he didn't give me a chance anyways so I didn't have to make that decision. The other 10 deer were 45-75 yds away.

Did hear some acorns dropping but it was sporadic. I did see some scrapes and tree rubs though. Hoping to get out this Saturday morning for another round.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Went out yesterday afternoon and sat until dark without seeing a deer. This is a spot where I have deer on camera over the past month consistently. I think they need another week and then some cold weather. I am going out of town this weekend and not hunting the rest of this week. When I see bucks on the cameras again I will get in the woods. It's this way pretty much every year in Nova. The week around 10/20 things bust loose. Good luck guys.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

This weather is really on my last nerve. I feel like a live in a f'ing rain forrest.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

I hear ya Stonewall! I was out hunting in Culpeper last Thurs.evening and had a small doe come out of a small thicket in front of me and I originally thought it was a yearling. When she came closer and into my shooting lane I realized she was the right size that I wanted, but I was too late to get the bow up in time and get off a decent shot, so let her walk.

That Sat. I did not see one single deer. On Monday evening I had a small six pointer come out of a thicket, but he was a hundred yards off and did not come any closer. When I left my stand I was walking out and noticed something out of my peripheral vision. I thought to myself, dang if that does not look like fur. I stepped forward and there was a skunk all flattened out trying not to be noticed. I was like four feet away and backed out real softly, ha, ha. I still had my head net on so he must have been wondering what the heck I was. Sure glad he did not spray. With all this rain I will not be able to get back out until Sat.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Spike

The weatehr is killing me too!! On the way to my stand in Spotsy when I hit a downpour, then they have tornado watches and warnings so I head home now its beautiful outside.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

I checked my Trail Cameras on Quantico today and I have some descent buck picture's but they are all at night 2AM-5AM hopefully next week the will become day walkers. I saw a doe on Wednesday night but other then that it has been really slow the big boys are killing me was hoping they would get up and walka round during daylight or atleast start scraping and rubbing alot but yeah you guy's are right they heat and rain is killing me got stuck in the down pour tonight plus it needs to get a good 15-20 degrees colder 70's is just not going to cut it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.