Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Southeast Oklahoma Deer Hunting >

Southeast Oklahoma Deer Hunting

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Southeast Oklahoma Deer Hunting

Old 07-16-2003, 07:51 PM

Default Southeast Oklahoma Deer Hunting

Just want to learn a little about the deer hunting that is offered in se oklahoma, especially in the Three Rivers Area. I want to go to se oklahoma for ml and rifle hunts. are there a lot of deer in this area? are there a lot of hunters in this area? just let me know maybe what to expect and how to hunt, is it stalk or glassing, would rettling in work, etc.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Spike

Default RE: Southeast Oklahoma Deer Hunting

3 Rivers has a few deer. It is all industrial timberland, so there will be no stalking or glassing. As for rattling, it is usually hit or miss. Never had too much luck myself. The best suggestion I can give you is do some scouting and hang a stand. Number of hunters is moderate for ML and fairly high for rifle, but there is enough land, you can find a spot to yourself with a little bit of walking. Where are you located now?
Old 07-17-2003, 02:00 PM

I live in Oklahoma Cuty, last year I hunted on a ranch in western Oklahoma and harvested a doe but I felt like it was WWIII there were shots going off everywhere around me because the neighbors allowed too many people on their land. They killed all the deer before they crossed the river that I was on the other side of. Sorry, I am still a little bitter. I want to hunt SE Oklahoma because the terrain is so pretty and there is so much land. Tell me what you know about other areas such as Pushmataha or Honobia. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:02 PM

I have always heard that if you are willing to get in there, there are some big bucks in SE Oklahoma. I am not a stand hunter I prefer to hunt on land.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:04 PM
Spike

Honobia is basically the same as 3 rivers, but a little more rugged and I am fairly certain you can hunt Honobia and 3 rivers on the same permit. If that is the case, that gives you nearly 750,000 acres I believe. So I am sure there would be no problem finding a place to hunt away from others. There definitely are some big bucks in the region. I know of several that grossed B&C. Plenty of hogs in the 3 rivers also. If you make it down, kill EVERY hog you can. All of my hunting is done east of the lake (BBOW)I don' t really know a lot about the part of 3 rivers west of the lake, but it seems to produce a lot of big deer as well. This area is not exactly easy to hunt, but if you put forth the effort. You can be greatly rewarded.