VA - Radford Ammunition Plant

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA - Radford Ammunition Plant

Old 06-09-2003, 06:25 PM
M38
Spike

Default VA - Radford Ammunition Plant

I saw a post here last fall regarding hunting at the Radford Ammunition Plant and even though it is on the otherside of Virginia I' m thinking about applying. Does anybody have any experience with the application process? What days can you hunt? I guess in general what is it like?
Thanks
Old 06-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: VA - Radford Ammunition Plant

I have never applied but have always thought about it since I only live a couple of hours away. From what I understand a random drawing is held for a set amount of hunts.....I believe if you are going to bowhunt you have to shoot a competency course. Seems like they place you on a stand and you stay put till they come get you.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:52 AM

I used to work there when I first got out of the military as armed security. Man, talk about some BIG bucks! I' ve never applied to hunt but have planned to start applying this year. If you apply every year it usally takes 3-4 years to get in, though you could get lucky. For the bow hunting appitude test, you must shoot a couple arrows (two or three, I can' t remember which) into a pie plate at 20 yards. They have premade stands that you hunt from and they allow you to move, but no further then 50-100 yards from your stand. (can' t remember the exact number of yards sorry)

When I worked there I saw some great bucks both alive and being brought out. The third biggest buck in the state was taken there. I' ll try and find some application information for ya' ll.

Also Va. Tech has a controlled hunt on their Kentland farm. Some really nice bucks down there also. It works the same, via a lottery. You will proably get a doe tag the first time during gun season at either place.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:49 AM
M38
Spike

I emailed some questions to VDGIF and this was the response:

Allen Boynton
Regional Wildlife Manager
(276) 783-4860
(888) 446-5449 pager

[email protected]

>>> <[email protected]> 6/10/2003 16:51:14 >>>
Where can I get more info on hunting at the Radford Ammunition Plant? The website doesn' t say much.
Where do I get an application? Send me an address and we will mail you one .
When can I get an application? August 1
How are those selected to hunt chosen? Computer drawing
Is it archery only? archery or shotgun
What days will it be open for hunting? assigned days
Are hunters assigned an area? yes
Can a hunter scout the area before the day(s) of the hunt? no
Thanks
Old 06-19-2003, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

It really is worth the trouble to get in. I' ve hunted there a couple of times in the last several years. My partner got a nice 20" 7 pt with a bow on one of our trips. I' ve had 10 pt 140 class bucks walk by on a doe hunt. The one trophy hunt I went on I got a bad stand and it poured rain all day. How' s that after waiting years to get drawn. One point that I haven' t seen anyone address is that the first drawing you get is a doe only hunt. You can' t apply for a trophy hunt until you' ve been drawn for a doe hunt. At least that' s what it was the last drawing. This should be my 4th or 5th year applying for a doe tag. Then it' s 5 or 6 more for a trophy hunt. But it only cost 3.50 I think to apply. You do move up on the drawing list each year that you apply.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:50 AM
M38
Spike

Some more info.

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your questions about the RAAP hunt. I am in the process of developing a list of FAQs that should be available on our web site in the next 2 weeks, which should help out with questions like yours. You can get more info on the hunt by calling this office 540-961-8304. Because of budget cuts we no longer have a receptionist to answer your call, however, if you leave your name & number I will contact you. You will be able to get an application from our website at the end of the second week in July. Hunters are chosen by computer drawing using a point system. Every year you apply you get one point. The computer draws from those with the highest number of points first. It usually takes several years to get drawn for a hunt because of the high number (>3,500) of applications we receive annually. This year there will be 2 days of archery hunting and 6 days of gun hunting. Hunting days will be announced when the applications become available, but are generally Wednesdays & Saturdays in November, and 1 Wednesday & 1 Saturday in December. Gun hunters must hunt from a permanent stand that is determined by computer drawing. Bow hunters can erect a portable stand within 50 yds of the assigned permanent stand. Because the RAAP is a restricted area hunters are not allowed to scout the area before their hunt. If you have further questions please call me at the number cited above. Thank you.

Betsy Stinson
Old 06-28-2003, 08:41 AM
Spike

I hunted there last year. You may have seen my post. It took me 3-4 years to get in for my first hunt (doe only). The next time you can buck hunt. It took 5 years for my next draw. I got drawn for 2001, but noboby hunted that year after the 9/11 attack. So I got to hunt in 2002.

I HAD THE BEST HUNT OF MY LIFE!!!

By 9 am I had already had the best hunt ever. They have antler restrictions, so you have to get a good look at the buck. It was the third Saturday in Nov. and the deer were moving all day. So foggy that I could not see 70 yds until about 11 am. I was shaking like a kid most of the day. I saw 16 bucks and 12 does (I think). At one point in the morning, I had 3 8 pointers bedded within sight. I could have taken any one of them but was not sure they made the spread. Apply! It only cost $3.50 and you will get drawn before you know it. I saw 3 bucks, two of them were wall hangers on my doe only hunt (bow hunt). For my buck hunt I chose slug gun.

I will post a pic later if I can get the host sight to work.

Betsy runs a great program up there. They are top notch. You get a Texas game ranch quality hunt for $3.50. Go!

Dayton