Florida WMA question >

Florida WMA question

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Florida WMA question

Old 09-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Florida WMA question

The guys at work tell me that you're not allowed to field dress deer and hogs that are taken on WMA's. The only regulation that I can find is the one that states "No deer or wild hog shall be quartered or otherwise dismembered in the hunt area". I don'tbelieve that field dressingcould beconsidered dismembering. Its still 90 degrees out, I think that you'd want to cool it down asap to prevent the meat from spoiling. What does everyone else think, is it ok to gut a deer or hog?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Florida WMA question

Many WMA's have stations where you can clean your animal. Depends on which one you are shooting. I have guted and no one said anything in the WMA's that do not have a station.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

we want live weights, and proof of the sex, but if you absolutely have to gut it to be able to bring it out of the woods or it's been too long since the killand those guts need to come out, then it's ok...they also do some sampling , they used to do liver and other organs so thats another reason why they want them brought in whole....but they haven't done that in awhile...if you can by all means bring it out whole.......then clean it at the check station......
Old 10-01-2008, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntnma

we want live weights, and proof of the sex, but if you absolutely have to gut it to be able to bring it out of the woods or it's been too long since the killand those guts need to come out, then it's ok...they also do some sampling , they used to do liver and other organs so thats another reason why they want them brought in whole....but they haven't done that in awhile...if you can by all means bring it out whole.......then clean it at the check station......
What do they do with the guts when you're done? Is there running water at the check stations?

A buddy of mine killed an 80# buck at Toso this past weekend, that wouldn't be too bad. I saw a guy check in a 142# buck at Bull Creek last week and if it were me I would have loved to get rid of 35# of guts before dragging it out.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Centaur 1

ORIGINAL: hunter

we want live weights, and proof of the sex, but if you absolutely have to gut it to be able to bring it out of the woods or it's been too long since the kill and those guts need to come out, then it's ok...they also do some sampling , they used to do liver and other organs so that's another reason why they want them brought in whole....but they haven't done that in awhile...if you can by all means bring it out whole.......then clean it at the check station......
What do they do with the guts when you're done? Is there running water at the check stations?

A buddy of mine killed an 80# buck at To so this past weekend, that wouldn't be too bad. I saw a guy check in a 142# buck at Bull Creek last week and if it were me I would have loved to get rid of 35# of guts before dragging it out.
In some WMA's they want to take the Kidneys and in some the Livers others they want to see the Teeth.......One year in Citrus WMA we had to bring in the Live Weight and gut them at the ranger station cause the were collecting the Kidneys to take to the State Lab..

Most areas have a designated Gut Pile......I know Green Swamp had a huge Gut Pile.

Always check with the Ranger Station before going in the hunt area...
Old 10-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

most have running water and RH is correct once again
Old 10-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Dominant Buck

BUT...it is legal to field dress a deer ..in a WMA
Old 10-04-2008, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes as long as you can id the sex of them ......
Old 10-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

BUT...it is legal to field dress a deer .. in a WMA
Chuck, like I mentioned above............Check with the ranger station if there is one before entering the hunt area..
Old 10-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I did last year and this year at th eRockridge gate..their replies..

"We would rather have the aninal completel;y in tact BUT if you must field dress you are not in trouble."

Quick Reply: Florida WMA question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.