Florida WMA question >

Florida WMA question

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Florida WMA question

Old 10-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Florida WMA question

What happens if you are hunting so far back in the woods that you really need to quarter the deer to get the meat out? I have a friend that has a spot that they have kill deer everytime they go there. But it isover a3 mile hike and some of it is very wet (you need waders). I would never want to drag out a deer 3 miles. I even think a game cart would be impossible at this spot too. I believe it is illegal to quarter an animal, but in this case would most game wardens be ok with it?

What do you'll think?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 10-06-2008, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

now you might get into trouble for dismembering......if i remember correctly, Law Enforcement frowns on this and then you'll have to prove the meat belongs to the same deer......i personally wouldn't do it
Old 10-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: guntercb

What happens if you are hunting so far back in the woods that you really need to quarter the deer to get the meat out? I have a friend that has a spot that they have kill deer everytime they go there. But it is over a 3 mile hike and some of it is very wet (you need waders). I would never want to drag out a deer 3 miles. I even think a game cart would be impossible at this spot too. I believe it is illegal to quarter an animal, but in this case would most game wardens be ok with it?

What do you'll think?

Cheers,
Chris
Man............wonder how many 200+ hogs and deer I have dragged 2+ miles in my life...
Old 10-07-2008, 04:10 AM
Dominant Buck

now you might get into trouble for dismembering......if i remember correctly, Law Enforcement frowns on this and then you'll have to prove the meat belongs to the same deer......i personally wouldn't do it

Huntnma...
When field dressing..is it ok to cut out the sexual organs..I know the deer must be in tact..The guts I understand are a 1/3 of the weight..and i have one heck of a long haul.? I also know they would rather have the whole deer but if I get blessed and get a monster I'll need to field dress...I was just wondering when I make the chest cavity cut if I can go ahead and cut off the sex organs as well?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Huntnma...
When field dressing..is it ok to cut out the sexual organs..I know the deer must be in tact..The guts I understand are a 1/3 of the weight..and i have one heck of a long haul.? I also know they would rather have the whole deer but if I get blessed and get a monster I'll need to field dress...I was just wondering when I make the chest cavity cut if I can go ahead and cut off the sex organs as well?
************************************************** ************************************************** **********
Huntnma

we want live weights, and proof of the sex, but if you absolutely have to gut it to be able to bring it out of the woods or it's been too long since the kill and those guts need to come out, then it's ok...they also do some sampling , they used to do liver and other organs so thats another reason why they want them brought in whole....but they haven't done that in awhile...if you can by all means bring it out whole.......then clean it at the check station......
************************************************** ************************************************** ***********
Old 10-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Chuck I just read the Ocala 2008-2009 brochure and they mention that the Head & Sex Organs have to be on the carcass...
Old 10-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

YOU DA MAN REBLEHOG
Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

try using a game cart. i finally broke down and bought one last year. it cam in handy my first outting in Ocala when i shot that 8 point. i was over 1 mile away from my truck and i would have died dragging it out, the temp. was around 97 degrees.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:30 PM

So lets say it is about 90 - 95 degrees out during the early season. What is the max amount of time you have till you must field dress to prevent spoilage?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: florida bucks

So lets say it is about 90 - 95 degrees out during the early season. What is the max amount of time you have till you must field dress to prevent spoilage?
Right after thekill and if you have a long trip home , stop at a conveniencestore and buy 2 or 3 ice bags and pack them in the cavity...............If you skin it and quater it in camp pack it in Ice as soon as posible.

I did this on short distance hunts. On long distance hunts I took the Lawn utility trailer I have set up for long huntinghauls.............In front of the trailer I have an old chest type freezer with an expanded metal rack on the bottom.........On the way to the hunting area, we stop at an Ice House an buy Dry Ice and place it on the bottom of the rack.

I have done this from Tampa to Rifle, Colorado and back.....we brought back 2 Elk quatered and a Mule Buck with without any problems.....

Quick Reply: Florida WMA question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.