Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Urban Season

Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Urban Season

Well I finally have a place to hunt in Fairfax County for this late urban season. I am looking for any tips from any of you that have hunted this season to pass along. I have hunted this area during the bow season but I have found it tough because there isn't much foilage and the deer have busted several times in the early bow season. I did miss a nice doe way back in mid-Sept though but haven't sent another arrow flying since then. Any tips would be appreciated and I hope you all had a good season.

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 01-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Urban Season

I have found that I don't hunt the same stands that I did during the season it really helps. Some of these deer are very skittish now and most of the bucks are nocturnal because of pressure. It is Doe only in the Urban Archery season so that won't hurt you at all. I have put in a pop up blind a couple of times and had good luck with that.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Virginia Mike is correct. If you're hunting deer that have been hunted with firearms this year, they are going to be spooked off the bat at any abnormal movement or smell. What I have had success within the past this time of year is getting in close to a bedding area a few hours before dawn. The sit will suck waiting for daybreak, however, at first light in or close to a thicket it could pay dividends. The wind also plays a key role this time of year. Don't waste your time if the wind isn't right.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, I have thought about a pop up blind but there is really no underbrush to help conceal it. I am thinking about putting it up this weekend and not hunting it for a while, hoping the deer will get use to it. I need to get in there and move my stand also. As far as I know there was no firearm hunting around, the area is in a residental area in Clifton, so I am thinking the deer won't be as jumpy as some of the other places I hunted this year. Have any of you had success calling in slickheads with any call, ie fawn bleats or doe grunts?
Thanks again for the tips.
Jim
Old 01-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

My tip is watch were you drive, I hit one last year there and had countless close calls. Good luck hunting.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually it's antlerless, which includes bucks that have dropped their antlers. I've seen 4 so far that have dropped their antlers, 3 of which were between X-mas and New Years! I've never seen them drop so early, must have to do w/ the weather, i.e., dryness of this past summer and food sources. My advice is get high in the tree, I usually hunt about 18' w/ my climberbut this time of year I tend go a few feet higher. Look for those late season food sources, often the green grass in the back yards of those 5 acre lots, figure out where they're bedding and set up in between. Make sure the wind is right also!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

i would climb as high as you can in order not to be skylined by any deer.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys for the tips. I hopefully can get out this weekend after the snow hits!