Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Urban Bow Season

Old 04-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Urban Bow Season

The cty in which I live is once again deliberating an urban bow season. We have a huge urban whitetail population and this issue has been in discussion for years. Thelast time it came to a vote it was so close that it was shelved for further discussion. Is there anyone that participates in an urban bow season as well as can anyone sent me a link to other cities that have successfully implemented such aprogram?Any and all information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Urban Bow Season

Some info:

Virginia State Game Department
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/urban-archery.asp

At the bottom there is project coordinator you might want to contact him for help.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I kind of know what you are going through. Last year about this time they tried to close bow hunting in my town it is a no discharge of a firearm town. Again to make the few happy they tried to spoil it for every one. What I did is get all the sporting good shop owners and the fish and game Dept. to come and address the council. I also got every hunter to attend. But the best thing I did was go door to door and talk to tax payers of the town and got as much support as I could from them i the form of a patition wich was a real biggie. I hadinformation on Lyme and otherthins spread by deer which I found on line under goggle. I found where a town in NJhad to pay snypers to control deer populations where after all was said and down cost them about $800.00 per deer. I also took photos of deer eating my flowers and shrubs. It was a lot of work but we won. Now I have to tell you I don't even hunt in my town I just had enough of the antis winning and I wasn't going to sit still and not do nothing and give them another win. Like I said it wasn't easy but if you don't take the bull by the horns no one else will. Seems like everyone likes to bitch but no one really wantsdo be the one to get things going. So my friend its up to you. Fight with fury and stand up for yourself.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in Southwest Indiana. We have an Urban Deer Zone as well. It is for a few counties in Indiana. The urban deer zone I hunt in is Vanderburgh County. I like hunting early but I have yet to kill a good buck during this season. I always see a lot of does. I patterned a nice buck last year and saw him everyday but I couldn't get him close enough for a bow shot. SO hopefully he was not killed and will continue his movements. It is usually between 60 and 80 degrees when I go but at least I get to go.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:36 AM

ITS A GREAT WAY TO GET SOME EARLY MEAT
Old 04-18-2007, 02:39 PM

My town does not have a law against hunting in city limits, just against firing guns. I have deer that eat out of my garden(my yard backs up to a 6 acre woodlot with a city drainage right-of-way running thru it) and my neighbor has an 8 acre lot with a large garden here in town. She asked me yesterday if I could come down during bow season and "thin the herd" that has been eating her kale and kohlrabi. Looks like I might get a couple of "townies" this year.