VA counties deer season extended >

VA counties deer season extended

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA counties deer season extended

Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: VA counties deer season extended

i have heard that Fauquier will be added to this list next year by a reliable source.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 AM

Hi all. I military x-ferred a few months back to D.C. and live inNOVA.I'm still learning the surrounding areas and got a chance to check out a couple nearby WMA's near the end of regular season. I'm excited to see theinitial post hereabout the extended firearmsantlerless season for listed three counties, as well extended urbarn archery in Fairfax.

I'm hoping to getsome advice, because looking at VA Gazetteer Loudoun County looks interesting w/western boundry along theBlue Ridge range. It appearsPrince William and Fairfaxis probablytight on land opportunities,and assumeprivate only, so I was hopingto goa little further out to Loudoun where it might offer some open areas.

Would any of you have insight onfireams (antlerless) huntingareasinLoudoun area (e.g., Blue Ridge stretch) or others? I'm really stumped, so any help would be greatly appreciated - hopefully I can still get outto enjoy the woodsmore andpossibly even put somevenison in the freezer after all! Thanks! -AL3006

Old 01-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Al--I hunt on Quantico Marine Base. The season has already ended but the "mainside" of Quantico will remain open to hunt for does until February. The only thing is that you have to qualify with your bow to hunt that side of the base and the qualifications are already over for this year. So for next year that is something to consider.

Also, Fort Belvoir is part of the Urban Archery program for Fairfax and the season opens in September for does. You have to qualify with your bow to hunt that base as well. They just make you stand on a platform at 25 yards and shoot a few arrows.

So if you hunt Fort Belvoir, you can start in September, and if you hunt Quantico, you can extend your hunting until February. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

shadow
Old 01-20-2008, 05:16 PM

Shadow;THANKS for the low down on Quantico and Fort Belvoir. That soundgreat. QMB is right down the road so I'll defintely look into it for next season and possibly evenFort Belvoirnoww/ time permitting.Glad to be stationed in VA as you can definitely stretch out a nice deer season among the various early, regular, and extended seasons. See ya around! -AL
Old 01-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Downed a nice fat Loudoun County doe on Saturday!
Old 01-31-2008, 07:31 PM

No luck whatsoever in finding a place for extended firearms in Loudoun, Fairfax, or Prince William. Kinda dissapointing sitting home on weekends, but then again I realize I'm behind the 8 ball looking into late, plus being new to the area...

Should someone by chance know of a place to get out this last weekend I'd be indebted.....I know it's far away, but I'd be more than happy regardless to point someone in the right direction if interested in out-of-state hunt in Maine where I'm originally from. I still hunt there (i.e., northern Maine) every year. Not asmany deer as other states, but there aremonsters! Speaking of which, just heard today's annually publishedbiggest bucks results and Maine's#1 for '07was 285-lbs. field dressed. [:-]

Also, spent last tour in Michiganand hunted MI's northern lower peninsula. That was fun too... Thanks for any help! -AL
Old 02-01-2008, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

AL--Prince William, Loudoun, and Fairfax Counties do not have any public hunting areas other than Quantico I believe. Let me know if you need any help around Quantico as the season approaches this summer. I will show you around if you need any help.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

Ft Belvoir starts their season early every year for does, Usually second week of Sept. they tag them for you as well. All season they tag the does in the QDM areas (south post).
The late season on Fort Belvoirfor "antlerless" deer runsinto March. It does not end in Feb.
Last year they did the same. ONLY non QDM areas are hunted in the late season, you can shoot bucks, the rules are "antlerless", if a buck has dropped his rack he is shootable. Thats why I hate about the late season, I don't care for the early season either-It just educates the mature bucks and there are plenty of those if you know where to go. I have hunted there for 20 years now. I love that place, ARCHERY ONLY the entire season and no blaze orange requirements ever.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to start hunting on Belvoir Ben as I have hunted Quantico the last 8 years and would like to switch it up a little this season. I would like to hunt does in September to get some of the nerves out/get some meat on the table before looking for the big boys. I only bowhunt so that is really nice it is bow only year round. I think I will try to qualify this summer to hunt there next year. Any info on how to get qualified would help me out...thanks Ben.

Brett
Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

FROM THE VDGIF SITE:

Name:

Fort Belvoir Military Reservation

Owner:
U.S. Dept. of Army

phone: 703-805-3688 or 703-805-2538

Notes:
Excellent Archery Deer Hunting Area.

Features:
shooting range, handicapped accessible - contact manager

Links:

Fort Belvoir Home Page
Fort Belvoir Hunting Page

Species hunting quality:

Bear
Hunting not allowed for this species

Deer
Excellent

Dove

Grouse

Quail

Rabbit

Raccoon

Rail/Snipe

Squirrel

Turkey
Average

Waterfowl
Good

Woodcock

Quick Reply: VA counties deer season extended

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.