report back from Okaloosa. >

report back from Okaloosa.

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

report back from Okaloosa.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Default report back from Okaloosa.

Pros ..The country was better than I thought. I stayed at an Alabama motel and those folks sure do know howto fix cajon seafood..WOW!!!

Cons..although it;s archery only..I heard gun shots the entire time ..and dogs running loose. I did see 5 does but all out of range.So I struck out.

I saw this nice rattler about 100yds from my stand...It was wiggling ..but with out a head and rattles. Some man just happened to drive by and shoot at it 20 times...blew my first morning hunt.[:@]

Pros..northwestern Florida is nicer than I imagined..I'll be goingto Blackwater annually..probably during black powder..The area is gorgeous andI had to apply the breaks often to keep from hitting deer. All the folks I rubbed shoulders with were very friendly. Laurell Hills is my favorite spot..It's only about 20 miles from Crestview which has everything you would need. DuFuniak is very nice as well.

Most of you know I love nature and I thought this was a real live diamondback..He was still wiggling but headless. I heard many new birds but in archery..I was like a statue waiting for a close shot. It was cold enough to see steam coming from my mouth and only one mosquito was on my nose.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: report back from Okaloosa.

Chuck,

It sounds like all in all you had a great hunt. I wish some of those does were closer for you. I wonder what the guys shooting were aiming at? I hope they were hog hunting or target if deer was not in season.

That snake is impressive.

Depending on my schedule next year, maybe I could join you at Blackwater.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Ok..you get a free hour..they are in a different time zone.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:42 PM

Glad to hear you had a good time. We will have to talk and maybe I'll do some scouting for ya up there next time I work in the area. I would never have the time to hunt there but it would be good to have an excuse to go in the woods when I'm stuck at the hotel before work.

And Chuck... us Florida boys can't complain about seeing 5 doesis a weekend huh?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Chuck, as long as you have been chatting with me on this forum, I have been telling you about north FL....

Been hunting north FL for the last 25+ years.Last time I was in Okaloosa County was in 1994...
Old 11-04-2007, 06:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Deer hunting is to north Florida like bass fishing is to central Florida..I've always dismissed north Florida because of the drive..LOL The drive is worth it. 7 hours isn't that bad.I met 2 other bow hunters in a Tom Thumb up there..They were from Dade CityIt is a long drive butI do plan to go up there at least one week per year ...Once your set up I bleieve your odds of scoring triples. The economy is rough up there so many folk work during the week...That would be the timeto go..during the week.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Deer hunting is to north Florida like bass fishing is to central Florida..I've always dismissed north Florida because of the drive..LOL The drive is worth it. The economy is rough up there so many folk work during the week...That would be the timeto go..during the week.
You got that right!I have Doctor friends in Miami that make the trip to Washington county every year for two weeks.They have killed somemassive 8's and 10's over the years.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Garminatoris from Miami and is in a hunting club in South Georgia off I-75. He will be passing close to my place on Friday and again on Tuesday. Garminator'sunclebarrowedhis set upstandthis past week at the club andkilled a nice 8pt.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

WHEN YOU GET BACK THIS WAY GIVE US A SHOUT. BLACKWATER IS ABOUT THE FINEST PUBLIC LAND THE STATE HAS TO OFFER. WE ARE LOADED WITH DEER AND TURKEYS. THIS IS THE LAST WEEKEND FOR OUR ARCHERY AND NEXT FRIDAY MUZZLELOADING STARTS. WE'VE BEEN SEEING A BUNCH OF DEER AND STICKING A FEW ALONG THE WAY. ...TONY
Old 11-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Tony,

Chuck and I might have to come visit you next year.

Good luck and post pictures of your big one.

Cheers,
Chris

Quick Reply: report back from Okaloosa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.