My Field Journal (VA & NC) >

My Field Journal (VA & NC)

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

My Field Journal (VA & NC)

Old 11-22-2007, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My Field Notes

Those are some incredible racks from Ohio. I'm with you though, doesn't really sound like my cup of tea either. If it is legal, more power to them and it is very cool for 3 generations of family to go hunting and be successful together.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Temp drop from 11-22 to 11-23 was 32 degrees with highs predicted in the low 40's for the nextcouple of days. A warm front had come through for most of the week but then last night the winds shifted and the warm front was blown out by a cold front from the NNW. Unfortunately I had to work today so I could not really take advantage of it but I hope somebody got out there and had some luck. I will be getting after them tomorrow, 11-24. The weather is forecast to still be cold and overcast so I got my fingers crossed. The moon rise was 3:45 p.m on the 23 and will set at 5:45 a.m and is full. Then it will rise again at 4:34 p.m on the 24th and set at 7:03 a.m. So that means it will be directly underfoot around 10:45 a.m.on the 24th and this weekend while it is full it will be over head a lot at nightafter shooting light(not ideal I think but we will see). Now if youfast forward aweek toNov. 30 the moon rises at 11:19 p.m and setsat 12:10 p.m the next day that puts it directly overheadalmost at sunrise (good morning hunt predicted). Now fast forward another weekto the new moon(Dec. 9)the moon will rise at 0715 a.m. and set at 4:25 p.m, that means it will be out all day anddark at night (no moon light because of the new moon and the time the moon is setting). My prediction is increased daylight activity especially middayand I will hunt from dawn to dusk as much as I can around that time.

**Disclaimer** just my thoughts and predictions and I will use them a lot next season as far as date and data comparison.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skunked!! Windy and cold, only hunted til noon but no luck.

Still better than being at work!!

Old 11-24-2007, 10:29 PM

Default RE: My Field Journal (VA & NC)

This seems pretty cool but, how do you plan on using this information for the next year? With the information you have on the first month or so of this years season how is that going to affect how you hunt the same times next season? mi just curious as to how this is working but, it seems pretty cool
Old 11-25-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm really just gonna compare dates with activity seen (like whe I started to see scrapes/rubs, bucks chasing does, etc. I keep track of the weather and the activity seen so if similiar weather patterns happen or differnt ones for that matter I can compare the activity. I am saving the moon dataagain just to compare thedates i.e when is the second full moon this season and when will it fall next season, things like that.

Trust me there is no real method to my madness. Ithink it would likely take several seasons of doing this and then maybe I could graph it or chart it out to see any obvious patterns (as far as month/moon info goes). There is also a lot of locationspecific info and more stuff written down that I don'tpost but there is no real science behind it.

It will also help me when scheduling time off next season, I can look back and say "oh yeh I really should take a couple days off this week or that week."
Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I didn't see anything Saturday but a couple of buddies saw some does and killed a couple and another friend shot a 7 pointer chasing 2 does, all before 10:00 soI guess I was just in the wrong place.[&:]
Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Work is killing me![:@] Between that and getting ready for Christmas and sick kids I haven't been out since Nov. 24 and even then I only got out a half day. I'm completly jonesing right now. Maybe tis week will be better.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dec. 4, 2007

Finally got out this evening for a late bowhunt. It was nice and cool today with lows around 30 and highs around 52. The wind was pretty steady(12-15mph) out of the west all day and died down to about 8-10mph this evening. Pretty slow until around 4:15 when I noticed two does in the field I was hunting beside, my stand wasn't set up to shoot in the field but was high enough to see into it. It's a cut bean field with winter wheat just beginning to come up. Just before dark I had another deer feed by me at about 34 yards headed towards the field but it was too dark to see well enough for a shot. It just felt good to get out.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing to report. Temps back up in the upper 70's, ridiculous[:@]. The stand i hunted on the 4th has some company now as another hunter placed a 20 ft ladder stand right on the edge of the field like 80 yards from mine in the woods. There is no way he could have seen mine and several other guys can hunt this piece so he didn't do anything wrong I just normally don't see anyone in this area.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have been out a total of 3 times in the past month.[:@] Kind of sucks but I got lots of stuff taking priority right now.

Come to find out the new stand in the area I hunt is somebody I know, he's a good guy but it sure taught me to keep my mouth shut about killing deer. This guy tells this guy tells this guy.....equals spot ruined.

Still got 3 weeks left so we'll see how it goes. Better planning next season will get me back in the woods, I didn't miss a Saturay last season, this season I can't seem to make one. Such is life.

Quick Reply: My Field Journal (VA & NC)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.