Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Oklahoma SmokePole Opener >

Oklahoma SmokePole Opener

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Oklahoma SmokePole Opener

Old 10-29-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Oklahoma SmokePole Opener

Well the deers were moving on Saturday morning in my neck of the woods. I was stalking and had 3 does run a ridge above me, they were trotting and never stopped for a shot. I made my way to the top of the ridge and sat on a rock about 5 yds above their trail when a small 6 pt. made his way down the same trail, never saw me, I could have spit on him, it was cool. Then made my way down the ridge to where the does came from and spotted a decent 8 that I have been gettin pics of. Scoped him at 30 yds and decided to let him grow as well. I wasnt until he spooked that I noticed that he was a buck that I wanted to get out of the herd. His right side is just one long tine If I had noticed it sooner he would have had a Hornady thrown his way. All sightings were between 8-9am.

My cousin at the same lease saw 8 deer in the same time frame. He shot and missed a nice 8 pt then shot a six about 20 minutes later. Another guy on our lease shot a 8 later that morning. Didnt see much on Sat evening and got busted twice on Sun morning.

I did find 3 nice fresh scrapes and my game camera had 288 pics. You could see the does feeding then they would look over their shoulder and the next pic they would be gone and a buck would be in the pic. They arent chasing hard at my lease but they are starting to bug the does. It should be full on sometime very soon.

What did you guys see? May have to take Thursday off and get back in the woods.

Kent
Old 10-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Oklahoma SmokePole Opener

Was busy pretty much all weekend. I did sneek away for a about an hour on saturday evening. I saw a nice 8 pt., but wasn't ready to end my season. I already shot a buck with my bow and still haven't been to my 2 best places to hunt. I'll go this weekend.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:26 PM

Kentster,

My muzzleloader season didn't go as well as I had hoped. Sometime has passed so update us on what you have been seeing. Things are now pretty dead in Creek county.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:29 AM

Well you are right, alot of time has passed. Didnt see any shooters during muzzleloader. Saw some decent 8's and some does. Opening morn of rifle I had a nice 10-12 point shooter walk out but he did not present a shot. He was walking right towards me at 150 yds and at 100 yds I needed him to turn right for a shot but he turned left and just after losing sight of him and grunting the pumper pulled in and that was over. My buddy that same morn saw a shooter 8 twice, the first time the hunters on the next property spooked him and the second time the shooter 8 busted him.

The next morn I put a buddy who has never shot a deer in the same stand I sat in on Sat morn. He saw a monster (sounds different than the one I saw (wider)) and was in the same area but chasing (running a doe) hard and then they both disappeared into the thick stuff. He took a shot at a smaller buck but missed. On Sat. my cousin (11 year old) shot his first deer! A nice spike buck, he was on cloud 9.

Went back on Tuesday and had the pumper work on the pump jack for 2 hours, uggghhh, he left 3 times and came back. I mulled over climbing down but wasnt sure how long he would be there. Saw a decent 8 on the way out.

Friday I didnt see much action in the opening morn stand. Did see a decent buck and doe on the way out (they werent together). Friday evening saw a nice 8 (shooter with bow but not rifle) working a rub line. Sat morn it was quiet where I was sitting but my brother saw a young 6 and tooka shot and missed a doe.

I will be back on Sunday the last day. Hope to score a shooter then.

My scrape camera has picked up some decent deer and one definate shooter that I have never seen (pics taken on 11/15). My buddy saw a decent buck doggin a doe last Friday.

Good luck to all!

Kent - Out