Typical Buck

Default RE: baiting

ORIGINAL: Big12killer
I prefer hunting over killing.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigaggie77

I know I'm going to make a few mad...but..

I don't see the difference between shooting that buck eating a mouth full of clover and winter greens that I planted...or shooting him with a mouth full of shelled corn.

I can only think of the time and money it would save me by just throwing a pile of corn on the ground 3 days before I go hunting. Compaired to preping the soil and planting and careing for the plots.

But, thats only my 2 cents.
I agree. Grew up hunting in South Tx over corn, Then moved to MS and found out I could only hunt over Food plots. I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. In South Tx we would have given anything to hunt over food plots, but down there you tpically don't have the weather to plant..

I would prefer to hunt over bait than with dogs.. Deer don't care if they get killed under an oak tree, food plot or corn feeder. I believe the do care if you blow a leg off or make a bad shot because your trying to hit a deer being pushed by a dog.. Anything that will allow me to make a good clean quick kill I am for.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

I think saying that most states are considering doing away with baiting because of CWD is an gross overstatement. First CWD has been around for ever, but in the past most people did not know about it. It is one of those hot button topics right now. Second baiting is no more likely to spread the disease then anything else. Texas has been baiting deer forever. If baiting was a major cause of disease speading then we would not have ANY deer left, but check the facts we have more then any other state.

-john
Old 10-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aggie I agree with you 100%, but would like to add other methods of baiting: mineral licks, sex scents, agricultural fields, calls, products like Com'ere deer, anything that can lure or entice which is what baiting is.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know why anyone cares how someone else hunts...Makes absolutely no difference to me how you kill deer, you can set a mine field as far as I care...
Just so you stay within your states laws...

A deer hanging on a meat pole is better than a deer killed on the highway....
Old 10-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

kentucky will eventually do away with baiting they have shortened the timeat which you can bait from march to july and they wildlife officers said eventualy in the next couple of years they will do away with it totally