Sambar/Whitetail-St. Vincent, NWR-Florida >

Sambar/Whitetail-St. Vincent, NWR-Florida

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Sambar/Whitetail-St. Vincent, NWR-Florida

Old 08-04-2007, 11:03 PM
Spike

Default Sambar/Whitetail-St. Vincent, NWR-Florida

Does anyone have any past experience or have they heard anything regarding the St. Vincent Island (NWR) quota Sambar deer/whitetail hunts. St. Vincent is an islandoff the coast of Florida in the Gulf of Mexico south of Tallahassee. The feds offer a muzzleloader or archery quota three day hunt forSambar deer and a separate three day opportunity for whitetails. The island at one time was a private hunting preserve and it changed hands to the federeal govt. Myself and three friends have applied for the quota hunts on the Sambar deer and I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on the entire experience. Thank you in advance.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sambar/Whitetail-St. Vincent, NWR-Florida

I have a good bud who's done that hunt. I understand it's a fairly low sucess rate, but fun anyways. The hassle comes in getting to the island. There's hog on the island for the taking, but most firearms hunters don't want to spook the sambar, which I understand. Archery might be a different call on my part, if'n I were in the tree.

Send me a PM and I'll get you in touch with the guy.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Spike

Dad got picked about 10 years ago and got a 340lb doe on the first morning. Another guy there got a 600lb something 6 point Sambar. Dad said the used a tractor to get the deer out. Pretty amazing. Ill try and get the pics.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

i used to do the archery and blackpwder hunts when i lived in panama city. we saw sambar on just about every hunt. they are marsh eaters so try and find swampy areas. good luck and when you startle one they sound like a hi-pitched air horn..tony