Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 VA Hunters..... (hot off the press - Sunday hunting!!!!) >

VA Hunters..... (hot off the press - Sunday hunting!!!!)

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA Hunters..... (hot off the press - Sunday hunting!!!!)

Old 01-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: VA Hunters..... (hot off the press - Sunday hunting!!!!)

ORIGINAL: o2bebowhunting

russ & peral jam--why not give the deer, saywednesdays to rest?
that would be fine, close Wednesday to all deer hunting then
Old 01-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rebel Dog
I am curious of one thing,how many of the people that support hunting on Sunday are actually native to Virginia or is it the influx of outsiders that want to change things?
I'm for lifting the ban and I was born and raised in VA. I'm lucky now in that I can hunt 6 days a week, but for 15-20 years while my kids were growing up and my job required me to work Mon-Sat andI was lucky to get 5-10 days to hunt.

Just to get another issue stirred up, did anyone else notice HB 2531(requires landowner permision to go on thier land to recover hunting dogs)
Old 01-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rick64

Just to get another issue stirred up, did anyone else notice HB 2531(requires landowner permision to go on thier land to recover hunting dogs)
Yeah, that one was referred to committee on militia, police and public safety. Still alive though.

Also, rick, I'm one of those who has to work on Saturdays...the mail must be delivered
Old 01-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

Native Virginian........hunted all over the country......Sundays andno Sundays. Whatever...... people are gonna side with what they believe in. I'm over it, if it happens it happens, even though the facts that be indicate Sunday hunting would not affect anything except people's emotions. Maybe we'll see Sunday hunting one of these years, until then, I'm happy with hunting the days that I have. I'm more concerned with the men/women/kids whoaren't happy with the lack of time they have. Take care all, this thread is getting out of control.

VA
Old 02-02-2007, 06:35 AM

UFunny2 sorry for offending you but you must have missed the part in my post where it said "I hope this dosn't offend anyone" and you must not have understood mythought process or curiosity. Just because I am Native to Va. doesn't mean that I agree with everything either. For instance I don't agree that deer should be hunted with hounds I was raised on the road side with a gun in my hand waiting for deer, but as I grew up I found that hunting deer was more rewarding if I challenged them in the woods so I choose not to hunt with dogs. It is my choice but I accept the fact that hound hunting is a way of life in Va. and don't discredit anyone that does, my family and friends still do so. I was just curious as to how much of the poll was influenced by Non Native Va's. who are used to hunting on Sunday's from where they are Native to. But no big deal it's not that important. Maybe I should have asked how many are Deer hunters and How many are Waterfowlers by the responses here it seems deer hunters. I still would Support no Huntingon Sunday only because the waterfowl season will probably never exceed 60 days and the best hunting is at the end of the season it could possible effect my best time and deffiantly shorten my season. There is always the "Deer problem" whichSunday Hunting could help control.

But I do tell you something that does irritate me is that how non residents can come into Va. and hunt for next to nothing and when I go out west or even Maine I feel like I am getting raped.

Good Luck with your quest ButchA, just tell them to leave the Ducks the way it is.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

UFunny2 sorry for offending you
Non taken whatsoever! I'm in 100% agreement with you about hunting behind hounds (for deer). Just not my style, but if that's what others want to do, then so be it. I tried it when I first moved to this state just because I needed a place to hunt and joined a club. I didn't renew my membership!

If we hunters could have more input into the season decisions, I bet if
we could come up with a negotiated solution that would benefit all types of hunters and non hunters alike. I know the reality of that happening is near nil.

I've moved on to my "between seasons" honeydolist. So, it's back to tiling the bathroom floor. Good luck all.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good Luck with your quest ButchA, just tell them to leave the Ducks the way it is.
Thanks, Rebel Dog... No harm, no bad feelings, no anything. We can all get along and calmly and casually discuss the issues at hand.

I am a transplanted yankee from upstate NY and only started hunting about 5 years ago (call me a late bloomer if you will).

I doubt they will change the season length if/when/if at all Virginia wakes up and starts allowing Sunday hunting. The waterfowl seasons are set federally and not by VA, so I don't think the length would change. It hasn't in other states (with Sunday hunting) that I know of.

Anyway, I just think it is extremely ludicrous that someone can't hunt their own land in Virginia. It just utterly makes so sense at all!

Let's face it.... Hunting is slowly dying out. I read somewhere that out of every 100 hunters leaving/quitting/dying off, only 63% are taking up the sport to replace them. I know this sounds all doom and gloom, but that is sadly what it starting to be like. Kids today aren't "into" hunting and more inclined to mess with their PC's, Playstations, Nintendos, etc...etc... Plus they are in school during hunting season, and most likely busy on a Saturday due to scouts, sports, marching band practice, etc..etc.... Therefore, they can't hunt unless they take off a day from school and go hunting during the week. And, that is most likely not going to happen, because schools don't like firearms, hunting, and are more liberal minded than hunters. By allowing Sunday hunting, kids will be able to get out more and help carry on the tradition of hunting to the next generation.

I, myself, work hardM-F, as an IT professional (computer programmer, systems admin) and can't alwaystake a day off work. Saturdays are my onlygood days to hunt. I do take vacation around Thanksgiving and head out to a beautifuldeer camp out in the GWNFwith a bunch of other guys. But then,come Sunday, it is mind boggling, because we cant' hunt. We end up sitting around camp twiddlingour thumbs. It is a wasted day. [:'(]

As of now, since the two house bills got tabled (yet again.... although it didn't surprise me.... ) I am seriously considering going out of state to hunt and not bother with Virginia. Heck, I already know of one guy who quit hunting - because of no Sunday hunting!

Butch A.

P.S. BTW, I won't touch dog hunting with a 10 foot pole anymore. Lesson learned... [&:] Hey if someone wants to deer hunt with hound dogs, fine... have a good time... It just ain't my thing. That's why I hunt out beyond the Blue Ridge out in the GWNF.

Edit... Hunting rabbits with beagles, or hunting upland birds with a spaniel, or ducks with a black lab is cool. But hunting deer with dogs, is just not my thing....