Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Public land, Oklahoma >

Public land, Oklahoma

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Public land, Oklahoma

Old 10-26-2006, 11:29 AM

Default Public land, Oklahoma

I'm planning on hunitng Canton WMA. I got drawn for the rifle hunt opening weekend. I'm going over there next weekend to scout/bowhunt/blackpowder hunt. Has anyone ever hunted Canton? What are your opinions? I've looked over arial photos and found a few spots I am going to scout. Anyone have any spots you think I should check out.

Thanks for the Help,
Ryno
Old 10-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Public land, Oklahoma

I am heading out to packsaddle to do a little blackpowder as well. I have done somefishing in Canton and have seendeer almost everytime I was out there.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: ryanaller

I am heading out to packsaddle to do a little blackpowder as well. I have done somefishing in Canton and have seendeer almost everytime I was out there.
I went to Packsaddle to Quail huntlast year after Deer gun season. I found a pile of about 8 deer carcasses that had left behind with only their backstrap cutout. I hope that is not the case every year in Packsaddle.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:26 AM
Spike

I hunted Canton about 9 years ago. Lots of deer sign & with the sand its easy to find it. It rained hard and a lot & I got stuck, ha. Best of luck there are some good deer there & I hope you get one.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ryanaller

Did a spotlight survey at Packsaddle a couple of years ago. Most of the deer, including the bigger bucks,werejust off of the main roads. The inner part of the area we didn't see a whole heckuva lot.fyi
Old 11-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Best of luck to ya man! It is EXTREMELY dry here. Wheat crop is just about non-existent. Unless we get some rain in the next couple weeks, it is going to make it tough. The lake is way down as well.

Go to www.wildlifedepartment.com and check out the waterfowl survey to get an indication on the surrounding habitat. You may also find some maps there as well.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Spike

i have not been there for five years but i did hunt at the longdale area a lot .i would camp at the campground there and just walk north from there .

good luck to you .........ps i have a friand hunting a atoka now ,not much longer of a drive