Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Acorns in AR

Old 09-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Acorns in AR

finally got a day off and went out to the deer lease west of Fordyce. i didn't find a lot of red oak acorns, but there are white oak acorns all over the hill where my stand isit has a small creek thru the section of woods i hunt, so i guess they had water. i also found 2 small scrapes, and one large one about 25 feet from my stand! now, if i can only get time off to hunt! bow season starts saturday, and i know i'll miss at least the 1st week. i work for Entergy, and the hurricanes have us working from can to can't right now. keeping my fingers crossed, hoping everyone's back in time for gun season. otherwise, i'm gonna be REAL hard to live with!wish all of you the best of luck-and save some for seed!!
Old 10-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Went out yesterday morn for first time, and we have a HUGE crop of whitoak acorns down here in south Ar this year. We got some high winds from the last hurrican and it blew a lot of acorns out of the trees.
This is the best crop of whitoaks we've had in several yrs.

bogobble
Old 10-02-2005, 05:04 AM

Sitting up in a tree yesterday up here in the ouachita's it sounded like it was raining with all the acorns hitting the ground. Between the squirrels dropping shells from the nuts and the acorns falling it really did sound like it was sprinkling. I videoed 2 spikes right in the front yard chowing down acorns yesterday. It's amazing they get anything out of them with all the excess shells that keep pouring out of their mouths while they're eating them. It sure looked like they were enjoying them----they stayed right under the same tree for over an hour. Have a great deer season all.... Sure am looking forward to some cooler weather. I hate sweating while sitting in my stand......(:
Old 10-04-2005, 02:17 PM

There are none in North Central Arkansas. If there is an oak in an open area where trees aren't competing for rain, then you can find some. Inside the woods, the only acorns are rotten ones from last year.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Acorns? I breifly remember them! Been in south east Texas for so long I almost forgot about the deer candy of the woods.